Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT PP
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet again, I know this issue was discussed in the old forum but I can't remember what the issue was. I just recently relocated from Ann Arbor, MI to Boulder, CO, and the drive was windy as all hell. Although I was only doing about 85 (hypothetically, of course), the headwind easily effectively added another 20mph.

Anyway, I noticed the edges of the hood fluttering up and down quite a bit, especially when passing trucks. The latch appears to be working properly and the stops seem properly adjusted as well. However, it seems that too much air is getting the hood??? I'm not worried about the hood flying open or anything, but it's quite unnerving nonetheless and that constant flexing is certainly not good for an aluminum hood with a finite fatigue life.

·
Registered
192 Posts
never seen it on my 04xt even though i heard about it and have been trying to take note of it at "higher" speeds.

i wouls say, it may or maynot be normal but it is possible to have a better hood.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
The thing is, the hood is made of aluminum. And it has a scoop on top of it catching air... Mine does this too, I think it's normal.

angryasian said:
Yet again, I know this issue was discussed in the old forum but I can't remember what the issue was. I just recently relocated from Ann Arbor, MI to Boulder, CO, and the drive was windy as all hell. Although I was only doing about 85 (hypothetically, of course), the headwind easily effectively added another 20mph.

Anyway, I noticed the edges of the hood fluttering up and down quite a bit, especially when passing trucks. The latch appears to be working properly and the stops seem properly adjusted as well. However, it seems that too much air is getting the hood??? I'm not worried about the hood flying open or anything, but it's quite unnerving nonetheless and that constant flexing is certainly not good for an aluminum hood with a finite fatigue life.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Mine flutters, too, on the left-front corner. My hood is a touch higher on the driver's side so that's contributing to it at least a little bit. Would it be too dorky/ricey to get hood pins installed? :biggrin:

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
At each corner in the front under the hood, there is a black rubber bumper on the support cross member. The hood rests on it. The bumper is adjustable. You can turn it to raise and lower the hood a little. It might help to adjust it so the hood is more level with the fender when you close it. Just a thought. Won't solve the problem I don't think but may help some.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Peaty-
What angryasian is talking about probably can't be adjusted out...the scoop takes in a whole lot of wind pressure (high speed, headwind, semi-truck gusts) and balloons up...mine has done this at triple digit speeds under similar conditions...SOA probably figures most of us don't do over the speed limit and built the hood for that spec (read, light).
NASCAR hoodlatches may be the way to go for those doing extralegal speeds for most of the time the car's operated...
-Quick

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
I know what the flutter is but if the hood is sitting lower that it should (Say not level with the fender but below) it's gonna make the flutter that much worse. That's why I said it won't solve the problem but may help. FWIW I have the STi scoop which bigger and mine is not too bad up to at least 125 on the track of course :wiggle:

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
sirwilliam said:
You think it's bad at 85mph, try 140+;-)
At the track or on the freeway?

I don't trust folks on the freeway to stay in their own lanes. Besides, isn't the FXT governed at 130 or so?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
SKSTI said:
Besides, isn't the FXT governed at 130 or so?
Unless you've been reflashed... ;-)

·
Registered
934 Posts
the stock 04 forester has the govenor set at 129. with the new cobb map with the vf39 that i have, the govenor is now 186... but 186 is a bit out of reach for the car.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread, cause I was starting to get mad at the fact that my hood seems to flap at 85mph....lol. It's even noticeable at 75mph some days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts