Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
18 Posts
Miata calculator is inaccurate

I made an Excel file that may help you wade through the myriad tire options
P.S. - An excellent tool for in-depth and visual comparison of different tire sizes is the...Miata.net Tire Calculator[/url]. There is a Java version and a link to the older non-Java version for those without the Java JRE. Give it a try!
I was surprised to see that the Miata calculator is not accurate. It assumes that there is no tire compression under the weight of the vehicle. The actual revs/mi would be more than what they show due to this compression when the tire is in use. You can see the error by comparing, for example, what Michelin says the revs/mi are for a Pilot Exalto A/S 215/60, which is 800, to what the calulator says, which is 771. That's a significant error, about 3.6%.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
I just picked up some 18x8 prodrive PFF7 wheels, and am in need of preferably an all-season tire. In the 225/45/18 range, I wanted to get some BFGoodrich Super Sport A/S tires, but they only have summer tires in that size.

I only am set on this brand as my neighbor who is a commercial tire engineer for BF, is offering me free tires for fixing his PC, or tires via an employee discount if the free tire deal falls through.

I guess I can go 235/40/18, but am worried the low profile will look too thin on my mildly lowered FXT? Like shown here:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/574113-post1.html

I saw a suggestion to go to a 245/45/18 too?

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 5spd
167 Posts
Hi,

I have 215/60-17 on -06 FXT. About 5% bigger diameter than stock. Exellent feel on driving/steering and good comfort. Taller gearing fits well with torquey engine. Clearly more silent on highway speeds, almost 200rpm less on clock!!
Do you have any pics? Been thinking of going this route to combat the short gearing and freeway mpgs.

·
Registered
2005 XTi MT
25 Posts
i didn't read this whole forum but i looked thru the speadsheets. is that to say if the tire size isn't listed then it won't fit? found a good deal on 225/75/16 Arctic Claws that i was considering for my 05 FXT. Possibility? or no go?

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 X Prem 5MT
465 Posts
Forgot to post when I got my new winter rubber...

I am running Hankook iPike (studless snow) in 215/65/16 on a 2007 SG NA, with stock ride height. Had them mounted on painted OEM "steelies", and balanced with stick-on weights.

The extra sidewall definitely slows my acceleration and cornering stability suffers as well. On the positive side, the ride is smooth and the taller gearing helps out on the highway. I know people are running 215/70/16's on non-lifted SG's, but I really don't see how they are not rubbing. There is very little clearance between my tires and the splash guard:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,337 Posts
I am bumping this up.

Friday we installed a set of 245/40/18 Hankook RS3's on 18x9.5. Last year we had Dunlop SP Sport 600's 245/40/18.

The Hankook are much wider than the Dunlop even though they are the same size. Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X LTD automatic
2 Posts
Newbie here, first post. I have struggled to find LT rated tires to fit my 2012 Forester X LTD, w/ 17 inch wheels, to no avail. It is unreasonable to venture out on Nevada dirt/rock roads w/ P-rated tires, have had 2 flats on one trip w/ 3 different vehicles, a hard way to learn that lesson. I have thought of getting some 16 inch wheels to mount some LT tires on for trips off pavement. Any help will be much appreciated! The only help the dealer had was to recommend carrying 2 spares...not that helpful.

·
Registered
2006 Forester Manual
2 Posts
Anyone tried the Cooper HT 215-70-16s? I am looking for new rubber for my 03 XS that has a little more aggressive look to it but won't break the bank.
So far Sears has the best price round here.

DISCOVERER HT Tire- 215/70R16 100S BW- Cooper-Automotive-Tires-Light Truck & SUV Tires.
Hi I am newly a member but have been using this forum for months now to get my "new" forester ready for a 2 month cross country tour. I installed raised king springs and purchased 225/70/R16 Cooper A/T 3's.(only tire I will run on my 2004 tacoma) I love these tires however even with the raised springs I was touching the bottom rim of my struts and had almost no clearance to the mud flaps. The front tires had a little more space. From what I have read Cooper A/T3's have the deepest tread of any A/T tire out there. Could be what is throwing it off. I ended up going with stock size Geolanders due to the fact that cooper does not make the A/T3 in anything smaller than a 70 sidewall. I am not sure about the HT's but if they are at all similar to the AT3 be prepared for a let down

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
7 Posts
Please forgive me for bumping an old thread but does anyone have the document? I'm looking to upgrade to a set of 17" allweathers and would like to adress the short gearing at the same time. :)

81 - 92 of 92 Posts