Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
N/A Forester XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am having a bit of a strange current bleeding issue that I'm hoping I can get some help with. I recently picked up a set of JDM HID lights for my 04 FXT. I installed them and attempted wiring them as follows:

1.) I removed the DRL Module and Resistor
2.) I wired the HID ballasts positive side so that they are using the factory switched headlight 12v source for the low and high beam lights (shared).
3.) I wired the HID ballasts negative side so that they are using chassis grounds.
3.) I wired the high beam servos positive side so that they are using constant 12v from the battery (through a fuse for safety).
4.) I wired the high beam servos negative side so that they are using the factory switched ground connection for the original high beam lights.

With the ignition OFF OR ON with the headlights OFF, the factory high beam indicator light is lit dimly. THIS IS THE BLEED ISSUE!
Once I turn on the headlights, this indicator light turns off completely as it should be.
Once I turn on the highbeams, this indicator light turns on to complete brightness as it should be.

I have looked through the diagram multiple times and am confused how this light is being back fed and lit from my circuit. The issue is 100% due to my high beam servo wiring as when I pull the inline fuse I added for this, the dash light turns off completely as it should be. Aside from this, my circuit works fine for powering the low beams when I turn on the headlight switch and activating the high beam servos when I turn on the high beam switch. Hopefully someone is a little more familiar with this circuitry who can point me in the right direction. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,627 Posts
Subarus uses negative switched circuits for headlights. Meaning positive side is always hot. Gnd is open circuit. Most 3rd party devices are opposite to this.....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts