·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas, I sent an email to Rav spec who just made a CF hood for the LGT
requesting a hood for an SG forester. Heres the response:

RavSpec said:
Hey Doug.

We have purchase a stock hood , waiting to be molded. But I have to get at least 20 hood to start production.

Price we are looking at around $550 shipped.
If you can come up to have 15 people committed, we can do it for $500 shipped.

Here is a link to the Legacy GT hood we did.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21254

we do a lot of new parts R&D like this below.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723351

In addition, we are R&D on a roof spoiler for Forrester. Waiting to be test fitted. Any interest of those ?

RavSpec

Tel: 631-586-3520 / 631-964-0032
Fax: 917-591-7759
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.ravspeconline.com
is there any interest in this? the hodd they made for the LGT weighed in at about 15lbs so lighter than the stock alum hood.

I'm in no way afiliated with ravspec, I'm just looking for a CF hood!

Doug.

·
Registered
FXT and Wifes Leggy
481 Posts
If I could come up w/ some funds and permission from the wife, I'd be interested in the hood provided it is lighter than stock. 8)

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
I have a question about carbon fiber hoods that no one has ever answered. Maybe you can ask Rav Spec?

All OEM hoods have a safety feature built into them, If you look at the hood somewhere around the center you will see a sort of crease in the supports. At the back of the hood in each corner there are a small hooks that when the hood is closed mate up with a loops. These are there for safety reasons. If you have a front end collision, the hood will bend at the center (via the crease) and be held at the back by the hooks. This prevents the hood from coming back into the cabin and decapitating the occupants. What about carbon fiber hoods? They are pretty strong I'm guessing, do they have anything like this? I could be wrong maybe they just shatter or something.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Peaty said:
I have a question about carbon fiber hoods that no one has ever answered. Maybe you can ask Rav Spec?

All OEM hoods have a safety feature built into them, If you look at the hood somewhere around the center you will see a sort of crease in the supports. At the back of the hood in each corner there are a small hooks that when the hood is closed mate up with a loops. These are there for safety reasons. If you have a front end collision, the hood will bend at the center (via the crease) and be held at the back by the hooks. This prevents the hood from coming back into the cabin and decapitating the occupants. What about carbon fiber hoods? They are pretty strong I'm guessing, do they have anything like this? I could be wrong maybe they just shatter or something.
I believe a CF hood (generally a glass fibre hood with a cf overlay) would just splinter when impacted hard. A full CF hood might be strong enough to enter the cabin, but I doubt it.

Either way, I would like to see a hood manufacturer crash test one of their hoods and get a DOT approval on them.

Maybe I'm just getting old :lol:

Now that that is out of the way I would like a hood, but cannot afford it at this time.

Baby still needs a new front bumper.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my guess is that it would break. CF is very rigid and the impact from head on plus the fact that its attached at the same end as the windsheild would make it try to bend...I'm sure it would break in half before it enters the cabin.

I'm pretty sure 15lbs is lighter than the stock hood (30lbs IIRC?) Yes they're pricey, probably more "bling" than performance mod, I thought a few people might be interested in a "Show" mod ;)

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
i woul dbe interested. I need to know a bit more about the process used to make these though. Many of these hoods are a single layer of cosmetic CF, and the rest FG....

D

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I beleive these are solid CF, not fiberglass. the LGT hood in teh link above weighed in at 15lbs.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
I would definitly get it only if it had STi hood scoop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts