Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a better way to intercool my SF5.
I've been reading dozens of threads on several websites but there are simply too many options.
A lot of information dates back from 2004 and upwards and now so many years later i assume that several options have proven themselves while others have proven to be useless.

I'm going for a TD04L, Walbro pump, ECutek, and a complete 3" Downpipe and exhaust for the time being. (about 270HP at the flywheel / 380NM)
After that gets 'old' I'm thinking of upgrading the turbo, injectors, camshafts, and my goal is about 350 Hp at the flywheel and about 450NM of torque.

In the proces i'd like to upgrade the intercooler but i don't want to end up having to upgrade it all once more when i upgrade to the bigger turbo.
In other words buying an intercooler that will be perfect for my current needs and still be adequate for my future needs.

I've seen both FMIC systems and TMIC systems that range from cheap (Ebay TMIC's) to downright ridiculously high priced (Both TMIC and FMIC systems).
Now, i've read about fitment problems with bigger than stock TMIC but those problems can be solved with adapting some brackets.
I do wonder if an FMIC is an option for a SF5 without butchering the complete front bumper and what not.
Therefore, at this moment i'm leaning towards a TMIC.

What would be the best choice as far as performance, price and fitment goes ?
I'm not aiming directly at the cheapest version one could find but the versions from Perrin and other hi performance companies are about 6-10 times the amount and that's plain ridiculous for a daily driver, besides i'm driving a SF5 meaning that money doesn't grow on trees in my case.

Thanks !

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The stock tmic will support 350bhp, but obviously more power is available from better intercooling, though it depends on your usage cycle as to how compromised the standard one is for you.

Personally I'm not a fan of FMIC for road cars, you get a big increase in lag and many of the kits (you'd want to start with one for a classic) have such compromises that they suffer just as bad heatsoak as a TMIC.

So to summarise, your peak power aim is 350bhp (which is hard to get with the Forester engine due to the cams so responce is already suffering), but what is you're 'usage style' and how important is responce versus peak power to you?

Due to the cams, using a TD04 expect about 260bhp, 270 is optimistic.

Simon

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd just go with a stock sti tmic. If you need more maybe a turboXS or spearco. The ebay top mounts aren't worth it at all, you'll likely get worse performance than on a stock sti part.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
FM which of the many 'stock STi' TMICs are you referring to? The Stock STi part from an Impreza of the same age as an SF is all but identical to the S-turbo part!

Simon

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
FM which of the many 'stock STi' TMICs are you referring to? The Stock STi part from an Impreza of the same age as an SF is all but identical to the S-turbo part!

Simon
Ah always forget you guys actually got STI's before 04. I'm thinking the one thats usually paired with a vf39 swap, newage?.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock tmic will support 350bhp, but obviously more power is available from better intercooling, though it depends on your usage cycle as to how compromised the standard one is for you.

Personally I'm not a fan of FMIC for road cars, you get a big increase in lag and many of the kits (you'd want to start with one for a classic) have such compromises that they suffer just as bad heatsoak as a TMIC.

So to summarise, your peak power aim is 350bhp (which is hard to get with the Forester engine due to the cams so responce is already suffering), but what is you're 'usage style' and how important is responce versus peak power to you?

Due to the cams, using a TD04 expect about 260bhp, 270 is optimistic.

Simon
Well, i'd prefer response. Also cutting up the front bumper to make a FMIC system isn't my cup of tea. I'm not against modifying but i don't think it looks right on a SF5 so it will remain as TMIC.

The cams are an issue but i plan to swap them in the near future to give it the normal EJ20 turbo potential.
I do believe that a thicker/bigger TMIC should be worth the effort and also heatwrapping the Turbo and downpipe should aid reducing hoatsoak on the TMIC.

I guess a STI TMIC or any other bigger TMIC is the way to go in my case.

@Don, thanks for the link !

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
From what you say I'd sugegst sticking with a newage WRX (upto about 270bhp) or STi intercooler with appropriate mods to the underboonet 'splitter' to match the new size and using a modified newage hoodscoop to get more air into it, that will be safe up to 350-370bhp and will keep you with sensible responce.

Simon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Simon, that's exactly what i will do !

Could you enlighten me on the modified hoodscoop part ?
I think the hoodscoop on the SF5 looks okay but i'd like it to be a bit more taller like on some 2002-upWRX 's. I have seen them very tall aswell (some STI i believe) which i think is a bit too much.

I assume the Impreza scoops are not plug 'n play on the SF5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts