Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo TZ1A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car a month ago, previous owner told me that I will have to change the rear pads. Since he changed the front rotors and pads not too long before the purchase I decided to change the rotors at the back too. I found a standard rotors and pads on ebay and spent one day messing with it.

Turned out the brakes were fine as they were but the pads wear was uneven. Using service manual and Impreza guide posted here somewhere I didn't have too many problems with the swap and was quite happy with what I did :biggrin:

Then I posted initial photos here in my welcome thread in Europe section and was asked a few questions about my work. Turned out I didn't do few things I should have so a week later it was back to square one.

I figured, since I took photos, that I will post here as a guide or precaution for others to learn on my mistakes... :biggrin:

Very uneven pad wear:

Tear in the caliper boot (I will fix it at a later date):

Hand brake shoes in order:

Shiny new rotor:

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo TZ1A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then a week later I took it all apart again to fix my mistakes.

When I was installing the pads they were very difficult to put on. I had to use a lot of force to get them close to the rotor. Turns out I had not cleaned the clips that the pads slide in.

After only a week of driving the pads started wearing considerably and having taken in all apart I noticed they were not positioned correctly against the rotor:

The clips after taking them off the bracket and the place they sit in on the bracket:

After cleaning the clips with WD40 and elbow grease:

and the bracket after cleaning with files, sanding paper and brushes:

Hard to tell but upon suggestion from sf.org I used copper grease on the hub before putting the rotor on. The same grease went on the guide pins.

For the surface where the pads slide on the clips I used silicone brake grease:

I cut the corner of the shim for the inner pads as the wear indicator was getting in the way:

Job done!

( ...and please don't tell me I missed something... :chair: )

·
Registered
98 Forester S
23 Posts
Just did my rear brakes, the outer pads are also worn down as what your picture shows. Mine was less than 2mm from the metal while the inner pad has a lot more. I am beginning to think this is common on our foresters, but just my opinion.

Since they are wearing out on the outer pad, did you put the wear indicator on the outer pad position ?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
pluzz, did you also put grease on the 2 slide pins on each caliper? These are the pins under the rubber boots. The best way to grease them is to completely take the boots off and the pins out.

Keep us informed if the redo improved the pad wear.

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo TZ1A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pluzz, did you also put grease on the 2 slide pins on each caliper? These are the pins under the rubber boots. The best way to grease them is to completely take the boots off and the pins out.

Keep us informed if the redo improved the pad wear.
Yes I did. Thanks to your advice really :) I called them "guide pins" and I did take them out completly and used copper grease. I will probably look at the brakes again in few weeks time after my trip to Poland (1000 miles one way :) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts