Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's mine... the fronts are dark grey, the rears are V light grey! Were they all the same colour originally? I actually don't mind the lightness at the back end - blends quite well with the silver!

mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hurdy hurdy hur....

think they were a very dark gray looking at the part under the rear bumper skin which has avoided the beating of the sun's rays.

Can anyone recommend a good restorative product or an old wives tale for bringing them back to OE look..? I've heard used engine oil ain't bad, but I am thinking a sand and a coat of rubberised black should do a more permanent job.

cheers
mike

·
Registered
2002 S-Turbo
11 Posts
were can i get these?

i'v been looking for these mudgaurds for my s-turbo. maybe i haven't been looking in the right place! can any one direct me in the right direction

·
Registered
2001 forester s turbo
54 Posts
looking for the same

I am also looking for a new set of these (lost front left when off roading).

Does anyone know the part numbers for these?

Thanks in advance

scooby69 :woohoo:

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
I painted mine with the Krylon Fusion. Made for plastic. I took them off and cleaned them well. Follow directions and spray.

I just sold the car but after 1 year and one winter they still looked just painted. I used black and it looked fine. Most non body color flaps are black so they do not look out of place.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Don great link, cheers. Always have problems coming up with the right place to go to for parts. Subaru's website - SOOOOOO confusing and disjointed... Thanks mate!

MykP, yes, in my dreams. Seriously though, I have an issue with the new camera in iOS4 - it records them the right way up then writes them to another hard disk upside down! Anyone else get this?

The mudguards look to be a darkish grey. I'm gonna go for the painted approach, thanks for the info and recommendations Frito, and if they f*ck up, I'll buys some replacements!

Mike

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Subaru's website - SOOOOOO confusing and disjointed...
Mike
Subaru.co.uk's latest incarnation is a complete mess for accessories. They seem to have populated the Legacy and Outback sections and nothing else.

Have spoken with their IT section, but not holding out much hope at the mo.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
quick update - I tried applying back to crap and a couple of other bumper 'restorers' to the mudflaps but the plastic is only slightly textured and pretty much impermeable so the results are good for about 3 hours then they fade again! I even tried kiwi parade gloss but that didn't work in to the plastic either. So the choices are - 1, stay as they are (unacceptable), or 2, restore using prepping, priming, spraying (OK but what if the job fails) or 3, buy replacements. Well, for £60-odd I can only afford option 2.

Can anyone recommend a good plastic primer please? Imagining that boat hull primer might be good as hulls flex and are prone to come into contact with water(!)

Mike

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Try international yacht paints, or Coromadex.

I use both for outdoor / saltwater environments

if you have a sample colour, Cromadex will scan it and mix it for a good match.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
quick update - I tried applying back to crap and a couple of other bumper 'restorers' to the mudflaps but the plastic is only slightly textured and pretty much impermeable so the results are good for about 3 hours then they fade again! I even tried kiwi parade gloss but that didn't work in to the plastic either. So the choices are - 1, stay as they are (unacceptable), or 2, restore using prepping, priming, spraying (OK but what if the job fails) or 3, buy replacements. Well, for £60-odd I can only afford option 2.

Can anyone recommend a good plastic primer please? Imagining that boat hull primer might be good as hulls flex and are prone to come into contact with water(!)

Mike
Peugeot 205 GTi wheel arches have the same problem... I used Halfords "Vinyl paint" (I believe that's what it was called) on my CTi rebuild project, worked a treat on the plastics both inside and out.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
And the BXs had the same fade to white attitude as well... Always thought that 1.9i was tinny as... Still got the CTi?

Good shout on the paint, though primer plus paint = nearly 20 quid!

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts