Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SG9 X
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and cant really find much on this (because i cant put in less than 3 letters), but anyway...

what's the reasoning behind putting SG struts in an SF? i'm sure i saw someone said they are longer (how much?) but do they offer any greater suspension travel? anything else?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I was told that it allows you to run slightly larger tires in the rear. I do not believe it gives you any lift though. Fldrummer would be the best one to ask. He's lifted with sg struts.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
I've heard that the slight lift is there as well as tire clearance. Also a bit better ride maybe?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
The spring perch sits a bit higher on the rear atleast so that gives a bit more tire clearance. And for some reason they also give a bit lift compared to the SF struts. You be needing new top hats if you want SG struts on a SF.
If the extra tire clearance makes any difference for tire choice I'm not sure of.
It's just that when you fit tires like 215/65/16 on a SF, the rear spring perch sits really really close to the tire.

·
Registered
2006 SG9 X
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm going to be putting on far larger tyres anyway (will be doing the strut bottom lift mod) so if that's all the SG struts give you, it doesnt sound like it's worthwhile for me anyway

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
i'm going to be putting on far larger tyres anyway (will be doing the strut bottom lift mod) so if that's all the SG struts give you, it doesnt sound like it's worthwhile for me anyway
For your plans, no. the SG swap ain't worth it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
I was told that it allows you to run slightly larger tires in the rear. I do not believe it gives you any lift though. Fldrummer would be the best one to ask. He's lifted with sg struts.
Nope. Not me. My suspension is stock. The only mods I've done are a skid plate and replace tires.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I've got SG struts on an SF and yes you can run a slightly taller tire.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I'm ready for someone around here (FL) to go do some wheeling.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've got SG struts on an SF and yes you can run a slightly taller tire.
Just so it's all clear, what would slightly taller tires be?
I mean yes it's very little space on the SF struts but I run 215/65/16. that is slightly taller. So do the SG struts fit 215/70/16??

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
215/70/16 = 27.85" ,those would probably just fit.
My 225/70/15 = 27.4" and with the SF struts they just fit,with the SG struts I have about enough room to fit 215/70/16.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
215/70/16 = 27.85" ,those would probably just fit.
My 225/70/15 = 27.4" and with the SF struts they just fit,with the SG struts I have about enough room to fit 215/70/16.
Ok, thx. I was just reading up on my grabbers. the 215/65/16 are 27" and the 215/70/16 are 28.1"
There is no chance that they would fit on the SF struts.
While the 225/70/15 measures 27.4 could fit the SF struts, as you say there is just enough room for them.

If I knew this when I bought the kings and struts for my car I would go for the SG struts instead. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
A half inch really isn't gonna make any difference.
The kind of tire (tread,etc) is more important.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Aside from the mentioned tire clearance, SG struts have slightly firmer valving (to compensate for the additional weight of the SG over the SF) and match the taller / stiffer off road spring rates a bit better as well. Our SF on SG struts / Ironman springs / GrpN top mounts with a 18mm rear swaybar (What can I say, we tow) rides soooooo nice.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Aside from the mentioned tire clearance, SG struts have slightly firmer valving (to compensate for the additional weight of the SG over the SF) and match the taller / stiffer off road spring rates a bit better as well. Our SF on SG struts / Ironman springs / GrpN top mounts with a 18mm rear swaybar (What can I say, we tow) rides soooooo nice.
Hmm, I'm still using my oem top mounts. How do I know if the top mounts are shot?

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
When they come out in 2 pieces :)

Other than that (unless they are knocking) they are likely fine.

·
Registered
2010 Sexually Trans infec 6MT
2,385 Posts
I got the KYB GR2's for a SG with KING Lift Springs and 215/70/16 General Grabber AT2's on my SF. They fit fine, but rub a bit against my front mudflaps when turning.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts