Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester Manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy visited me in a big way. My belt blew on the highway just before I was planning to pull the engine to do a clutch, timing belt, water pump and what not.

Back story - bought with 115k and mechanically uber clean and very well maintained. Figure the TB had to be done. But my Irish luck came into play and it wasn't.

I pulled the plugs and inserted my flex camera scope to the spark plug hole but not into the cylinder. I can't see any oddities on the piston tops. From this limited view point, I can only see the center of the piston, but I'd guess I am seeing close to 75% of the surface area.

I have attached two photos of the cam and crank timing marks. In picture 1 you can see the crank and the R/H sprocket marks are almost in the identical position of 1 to 2 o'clock. The L/H sprocket is closer to 1 or 12 o'clock.

Here's my rub. The L/H side has some play and I can bring it back to 10 o'clock as shown in Picture 2. The R/H side has minimal movement or play.

So, should I start greasing up or did I dodge a bullet here?

Side Note - Thanks to all the great information and posts. I really never had to post because it has all been discussed and covered in a friendly and professional manner. Unlike some other sights.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Car

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Machine

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
..... My belt blew on the highway....
Never seen one that has not bent a valve when, belt, blew and highway were in the same sentence. I vaguely recall reading of one several years ago on NASIOC that did make it.

Overall chances are slim that it is unscathed.

In my mind I would continue with your original path and add HG with a head rebuild to the list and have it all taken care of when you are done for the next 100K+ with out having to worry about the HG failing.

·
Registered
2003 Forester Manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured as such. With a 150k on it, I'm weighing my options. Head / valve work or used engine that I have all the parts for the project at hand.

Any idea what the damage is for the head work? Ball park is fine.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
All depends on what your local market supports and what all needs to be done.

Locally for me(with out needing to replace valves),
Roughly $300 for the pair
- Valve job, basic 3 angle
- Valve seals
- Milling the heads
- Checking guides
- Cam seals
- Ultrasonic cleaning

Replacing valves add about $15 per valve that needs to be replaced. There are a few aftermarket sources for stock replacement valves also, but your rebuilder should be able to take care of locating parts at a fair price.

Some third party brands
ELGIN
ROCK PRODUCTS
TOPLINE
S.B.I.

In general I would tell some one needing valves replaced to expect between $350-$500 at most shops.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Been there, done that, both for others and myself:http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/every-2-5l-interference-engine-64410/

Well, if you need a set of heads, I have a set from a 2003 Legacy with 112K on them. I would let them go for $150. They have the port on the left rear head for an EGR. If you don't have/need it, you can just use a plug to close it.

I just posted pictures:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...ming-belt-snapped-at-freeway-speed/?p=1189495

And I am in NJ .... Northern NJ .... just north of Paramus.

·
Registered
2003 Forester Manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ferret - I'm in Paramus several times a week. If they are ready for install I will gladly buy them. I didn't register for the Ultimate forum to see the pics.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
Ferret - I'm in Paramus several times a week. If they are ready for install I will gladly buy them. I didn't register for the Ultimate forum to see the pics.
Wow luck is with you. If ferret is involved you are good to go.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Automatic
20 Posts
This happened to a 01 forester I bought.. Lady said it had valve damage due to broken timing belt and picked it up for $400... When I got it home I took the driver side timing cover off and saw that the timing belt was still on and had tension on it.. Cranked the motor over and the cam didn't move.. Took all of the timing cover off, took off the valve covers and inspected.. Timing belt teeth sheared off at the crank gear and at the cam gears. And they sheared off in such the position that all the valves were closed, or slightly opening...

Long story short, took the heads off and inspected.. No damage to the pistons, no indication that any of the valves contacted any of the pistons.. I pretty much could've gotten away with putting a new timing belt and flipping the car.. I ended up going all the gaskets, seals, and sold the car for $3000.. Car was shipped over the pacific and is currently in spokane, wa..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts