Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here has upgraded their stock SF brakes to the stock WRX brakes? How does the stopping power feel with the larger rotors and bigger calipers? I think with rear drums :)thumbsdown:) 4-pots in the front would be overkill, so I am kinda leaning toward the WRX brake upgrade found here: http://www.kastleskorner.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=77_21_38_220&products_id=1057

Quite a bit cheaper than 4-pots also. I just want to hear some people's opinions on this upgrade. Also, I'm assuming you would use brake pads meant for the WRX with this set up as well? Thanks for any help/feedback.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Or you could get take-offs from an FXT - they're identical to the WRX brakes up to MY05.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Did it on my '98, and I was happy with the results. I had a few panicked stops prior to swapping, and that hasn't happened since. Pedal feel hasn't improved much, but the car stops MUCH faster.

HOWEVER (Giant disclaimer here) I also switched to Hawk HPS pads at the same time.

I bought the calipers and brackets off of a NASIOC member on the cheap... cost me about $75 for all of those parts. Don't really need to swap calipers, but I sort of figured... why not?

I'd say if you're at a point where the rotors need to be replaced, and you already have wheels big enough to clear the larger brakes, go for it. However - if your rotors are in good shape, try a pad upgrade and a fluid replacement with some ATE SuperBlue (or your fave high performance flud... plenty out there, do some research) first.

I wouldn't do it if it required getting larger wheels... unless you're like me and were going to do it anyways. (I needed new tires and the OEM 15" steelies looked like crap, so I got a set of WRX takeoffs for about $175, bought new tires in the correct size)

I've had the luxury of riding in a car with the Racingbrake BBK installed, which is very similar to the subaru 4-pots. The BBK is night and day better than my setup (the fact that this was in a GC impreza helped too) but if you want to do middle-of-the-road, check this kit out:
http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2011-111-011-28.htm

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Doing that is very much the same as going to larger legacy rear rotors. You use your existing caliper and pad size. What you are doing is moving the caliper out away from the center a half inch or so with a bracket. You gain some swept surface length, more metal for a better heat sink and the clamping angle changes a little. Should be similar to this here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22

I'm also attaching a pic I took of the rotors side by side. That pic was taken a while ago it could also read - left 98 Forester VS right 04 Forester :)

I was very close to doing this on my 99RS when I had it but got a good deal on the 4-pots instead. So I never did it myself. I think it's a smart upgrade that does not cost a ton. A better set of pads (carbotec or some such) aren't a bad idea too.

The only watch out I'm not sure of is are the front Forester Pads that are in the current bracket the same as the new bracket? For the rear upgrade to the Legacy rotor and bracket, that was not the case I found out.

details on that here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3106

Attachments

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
i already have the ebc redstuff's on my car and i'm gonna order the wrx rotors and caliper bracket this weekend probably, i can't wait to get rid of crappy braking and my rotors are shot anyway

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
Quite a bit cheaper than 4-pots also. I just want to hear some people's opinions on this upgrade. Also, I'm assuming you would use brake pads meant for the WRX with this set up as well? Thanks for any help/feedback.
you actually use your stock pads and calipers, the only difference is the caliper bracket and the rotor, i just ordered mine from http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/ and the price is significantly lower through them (about $75 ;) )
i'll be sure to document the install and review

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I'm looking to do this and the legacy rear in the spring.... so many ideas so little money

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. So I guess what I am taking from this is that if I got the WRX rotors and clips, I would still use brake pads designed for the forester. I think my next purchase will be this upgrade with some good pads and fluid. Should be a nice upgrade I think. my00forest, thanks for pointing out the better price to me as well.

blitzoid, how do you like the Hawk HPS pads? Do they stop fine right after you start driving, or do they require a "warm up" period like some pads do?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Don't require much of a warmup, but they're a little loud when quiet. (I think i may just need to re-apply the anti-squeal stuff) They're really quite similar to OEM in terms of their comfort level, they just stop a whole lot better.

When they were being bed in (with Mike of AZP behind the wheel) he got them cooked to the point where they were literally smoking, and the stops were still controlled and confident and amazingly quick throughout.

They do dust a fair amount, but then my SF is always so dirty that I just don't notice... Plus, with the dent, the eyes are drawn away from the wheels, so it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I got the front caliper brackets and rotors from an '04 FXT (thanks Silke!) and they bolted right on using my calipers. I also got the rear rotors and caliper brackets from the '04 FXT, but they are the same size as what I already had on my '02 S

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I recently purchased some 05 wrx front hubs that included all the brake components. I planned to just swap out the rotors and brackets like everyone else and use my calipers. However, I found that the design of the bracket I had changed.

The rubber dust boot studs that mount the caliper to the bracket are different. My SF studs would not fit in the bracket as it did not have a recess for the boot to slide into. Instead the new bracket design has a collar that sticks UP. This new design caused my caliper to not line up with the mounting holes but the wrx calipers fit just great, obviously.

FYI if someone is selling 05 brackets and rotors you'll need the calipers too.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
actually, the change happened in '04, AFAIK. '04 WRX (and FXT) calipers and brackets will not work with components from previous model years. You can get USDM '02 or '03 WRX brackets and everything is fine for any forester or RS made from '98-03.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I mounted '04 FXT front rotors onto my '02 S (thanks to Silke!) I didn't try the FXT caliper brackets because they weren't available, so I bought the correct ones from Roo. The brake pads on the FXT are definitely different from the pads on my '02 S. Rear rotors on the FXT were the same size as OEM on my '02 S.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resurecting this thread from the dead. Last saturday, went and did this upgrade with WRX rotors and brackets and Hawk HPS pads. Car stops much better and speed drops quite smoothly when going light on the brakes. Definitely a reccomended upgrade. Thanks for everyone's help in this thread, and I'll try to get a few pics up soon. :Banane35:

·
Registered
01 Forester Ltd
1,078 Posts
Resurecting this thread from the dead. Last saturday, went and did this upgrade with WRX rotors and brackets and Hawk HPS pads. Car stops much better and speed drops quite smoothly when going light on the brakes. Definitely a reccomended upgrade. Thanks for everyone's help in this thread, and I'll try to get a few pics up soon. :Banane35:
Marrrvelous! Yaa! I did mind ohh! Last year with brackets power slot rotors, now i need s.s. brake lines ,and want to upgrade my calipers starting with rear first.:icon_wink:

·
Registered
618 Posts
damn I still haven't completed this mod, I have the brackets, just need the rotors and pads, ScoobyDoobie, think you could help me with this mod sometime?

·
Registered
2006 Forester STi SG9 6S M/T
137 Posts
I recall some years ago a 96 WRX owner was upgrading his brake system by changing first the brake pump. He installed one from the 00 WRX with good results.
Do you think is worthwile to perform this upgrade before changing rotors, callipers, brake pads, etc.

cheers.
Oscar.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
428 Posts
When you step up to the WRX fronts or if you just have a newer Foreseter, I'd suggest doing the H6 rear upgrade too. It just balances out the bias to something actually neutral. Just doing the WRX front, it's a bit front biased. The stock newer Forester is the same way, a bit front biased. WRX + H6 + good pads + high temp brake fluid if you plan on some auto-x/track stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts