Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this a couple weeks ago. sexy isn't the most correct word to use when describing this but i don't think it looks too bad. the fit is pretty damn close. i had to use extra velcro underneath which maybe in the dead of summer will melt anyway, who knows. at least this will save my black dash.

a local firm down the street from work did this if any of you are interested. it was under 40 bucks and turned it around in one business day. they've got a few basic colors to choose from and also one other type of material.

:banana:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Why would you do that?

I never understood the carpet-on-dashboard thing. It's like keeping the protective sticker on the cover of your laptop, or putting a bra on the front of the car. Sure, it keeps the surface below looking new for longer, but what is the point if you can't see it? :shrug:

·
Registered
2006 WRX
15 Posts
I'm originally from the Midwest and had never seen this until I lived out west. This MOD is to keep it cool during hot summer days.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Keep what cool? The dash? I didn't even know I should be concerned about my dashboard getting hot!

·
Registered
2006 WRX
15 Posts
It keeps the whole car much cooler when it is out in the sun. I know it is kinda hard to understand if you live east of the Mississippi. It was/is for me. :crazy: The sun feels much hotter here in Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, etc. I still do not necessary appreciate the look though.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I just open the windows and drive for 5 seconds. Or you could get one of those foolish accordion windshield covers that look like 1980's sunglasses.

I guess it doesn't get hot enough in Maryland...

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
I'm sorry but it doesn't do it for me either, kinda looks like a bad fitting toupé...

But then I don't live in AZ or get the same heat in the summer...

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
I live right on the Mississippi River and people do that around here, plus the ugly folding cardboard sunglasses too. My dad had a truck once that sat outside all the time and the sun totally split the dash. I can see wanting to protect the dash and keep the car cooler too. I use the two-piece nylon one that folds into a circle and it's perfect. You just fold it up and put it in the seat pocket on the back of the passengers seat.:cool:

·
Registered
2010 forester
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bad fitting toupee, that's hilarious. maybe it'll be less likely to get stolen now, on top of the fact that subaru's don't make the most stolen lists anyway.

on my '95 legacy i had before this thing, it had a light colored dash and that thing would get hot as hell here in phx and burn you so before summer hits hard here and with a black dash i'm taking no chances.

i admit it ain't the prettiest and i do like the clean lines of the actual dash, at least i know the dash will still look like it when i bought it. i wouldn't have bought the cover if i lived anywhere other than the southwest. i'm just man enough to put one in my forester ;)

·
Registered
09 forester
45 Posts
wizzard of OZ, where did u get dat sexy dash cover???? subaru doesn't offer them! i lady wants one. i've been lookin elsewhere, i gotz no luck. ur the key to my locked door. how much did you get it for? what website did you get it from. i have a carpet dash cover also , but for my tacoma.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Having lived most of my life in the west, and most that in very hot locations, I identify with finding solutions for cooler interiors. An hour in Phoenix in July will make the interior unbearably hot to the touch. Like 1st degree burns if you can't break skin to surface contact.
That said, the role of dash mats are more cosmetic than effective heat reflectors...they don't even serve well as a UV filter. Like so many accessories, they're unnecessary, just mods that cosmetically 'personalize' one's ride.
Now unfolding/unrolling foil windshield reflectors, they will definitely reduce interior heat...same with steering wheel slip on foil covers. And window tints. That's bang for the buck.
-Quick

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
While a dash mat can do wonders for a hot dash, so you dont burn yourself, it could possibly reduce the temp of the car, but not my much in AZ me thinks..

The other possible benefit is reduced glare! Now that could be worth it's weight.. It's cheaper and much more simpler than flocking a dash which IMO looks great.

<--In Hawaii dash mats are all the rage, why I could never understand. I never had one for 2 of the 3 cars I owned there.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
I immediately buy DashMats for any vehicle I purchase (I have done so since the late 80's). It helps tremendously to cut down the reflection you get off the dashboard in the lower windshield area.

That being said, I must say that your "sexy" dash cover looks horrible. Bad fitment...(not being mean my friend, its only my opinion on the matter)

Order one from DashMat = perfect fitment

DashMat

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I immediately buy DashMats for any vehicle I purchase (I have done so since the late 80's). It helps tremendously to cut down the reflection you get off the dashboard in the lower windshield area.

That being said, I must say that your "sexy" dash cover looks horrible. Bad fitment.

+1, I'll be getting one for the Saab myself.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
452 Posts
The one Subie 2003 posted looks ok, sorta like suede leather.
The first one in the thread looks like felt to me.
I live in Texas and am all for mods to make the car cooler in the sun, but there are better ways...like reflective shades, they both save your dash, and the rest of the parts inside from direct sun.

Also, covering your dash to save it won't help resell value, sorta like people who put scratched up, sticky dull screen protectors on their iPhone...it will still be worth only $50 when you ever end up selling it.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts

That being said, I must say that your "sexy" dash cover looks horrible. Bad fitment.

DashMat
I had one on my old Mazda, worked great for anti glare. That dash was no shinny it would make it tough to see while driving.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
So your plan is to bring sexy back by covering up the passenger airbag?
that's going to leave a mark..:huh:

I'm not loving the carpet treatment.. unless you already bought the dingleberries..

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Not a fan of the dash carpet treatment either... the only car I would ever consider this for would be an SVX. The windshield is angled in such a way that it always reflects the front part of the dash, no matter how much dust you try and collect there. Very distracting unless you drive with polarized sunglasses at all times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts