STI RSB
STI aluminum lat links
Perrin endlinks
Cusco front strut bar
Cusco front H-brace

The camber has been set as follows:

Front: -1.5
Rears: -1

I am finding that now in the winter, the car understeers quite severely...

what I'm trying to figure out, is whether this is what the car will tend to handle in the summer... since in snow, that just means less traction at all 4 wheels vs pavement, but the car should handle the same right ?

If so, then I will need to consider a bigger RSB... I've been holding off because I wanted to get the PRod rear strut bar in first, since that WILL affect my handling...

I'd rather explore the handling limits of my car at slower speeds on snow, than at higher speeds on pavement with my expensive summer tires...

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
slippery surfaces are harder to drive on than dry surfaces

the understeer may be caused by speed and approch of the terrain and corner combined with lack of grip

not necessarily by the suspension setup of the vehicle.

Jamie

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me clarify... I'm not complaining about poor winter handling... I'm not complaining at all actually, what I'm asking is that now that it is winter, I realize that when I start to push a little bit, I am going into severe understeer, what I'm trying to figure out is whether I can learn anything from this experience, ie. will this be how my car will handle on pavement (with higher thresholds of course) ? And if so, then I certainly plan to make changes such as a bigger RSB to correct.. what I don't want to do is increase the RSB to make the car neutral in the winter, only for the car to go oversteer on pavement...

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
the 2 surfaces are certainly far too different to assume you will understeer on dry pavement.

Again, likely...
the understeer caused is by the SPEED for the terrain not by the car setup.

I dont think you will encounter this issue on a dry and grippy surface.

Jamie

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
twg said:
Let me clarify... I'm not complaining about poor winter handling... I'm not complaining at all actually, what I'm asking is that now that it is winter, I realize that when I start to push a little bit, I am going into severe understeer, what I'm trying to figure out is whether I can learn anything from this experience, ie. will this be how my car will handle on pavement (with higher thresholds of course) ? And if so, then I certainly plan to make changes such as a bigger RSB to correct.. what I don't want to do is increase the RSB to make the car neutral in the winter, only for the car to go oversteer on pavement...
twg-

I too experienced this in both the FXT and the previous 2002 Leg GT wagon (never modded), regardless of the particular seasonal tires on each vehicle.

My $.02:
The STI rear bar just never really cut it once the car was off of the stock springs. I have the H-Tech's but eventually changed out the fronts to WRX. I have since upgraded to a Whiteline 20-22-24 adjustable RSB (shored up by a set of the Mo-Boost 'weldment fix' that I got from a fellow forum member) and the low-coefficient, power-on understeer is gone...I also run about 3-4 lbs. less air in the rear than the front (fine tuning). Dry handling (for my tastes) is very neutral- and if tire wear is any indication, all four corners are wearing at about the same rate these days, instead of the fronts being chewed up as with the stock set-up.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I had to learn the hard way....

Took a sharp corner at about 25-35, did about a 520 straight into the ditch (no trees, just grass), then put it in D and got the hell out of there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts