Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've enjoyed our '17 FXTT for a few months now. It's color, SBM, is a part of that... not just because it's a nice color, but mostly because it doesn't show when it needs washing. "It's the color of dirt," my salesman said with a grin when I asked his opinion prior to ordering. He was right.

The freedom from that concern is liberating. When it was nasty out, I kept my black STi inside... and to lesser degrees the blue WRXs and others. The road spray, mud, crud, and salt made them look ugly to me compared to the way I tried to keep them. In this one I simply don't care. It is in context with this fantastic vehicle, however, almost a cloaking device that lets it do its Forester thing without the usual penalty of looking nasty. It always looks good.

Saturday I visited him at the dealership, for reasons other than business. At some point I mentioned how much I was liking the new Forester, and mentioned the color. He said that at the moment there were only three in that color in inventory in the entire country, and none were available. I'm assuming the color is still available to be ordered, but am curious how many here own a 2017 Forester 2.0XT Touring in Sepia Bronze Metallic.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
I had an attraction to silver cars for the same reason. The always "look" good longer but the same amount of dirt and debris are on your paint and plastic. The longer you leave it on the deeper it will embed in the paint. Now I have the QBP and really like it.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
581 Posts
I've owned a bunch of silver cars for the same reason, that they don't show dirt. Now I realize life is too short, I have a quartz blue metallic and love it even though it shows dirt a day after it's washed ��

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Limited
47 Posts
That is a very nice color. Wanted to own one of that color but could not own it due to unavailability

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Subassador
2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 6MT!!!
929 Posts
There was one due earlier this month to Subaru of Gwinnett, but it didn't show up. If it did, I'd probably be explaining something to my wife...

I think it's a fantastic color, especially with the brown leather. Mm.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring SBM Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
261 Posts
I love the Sepia Bronze Metallic too. I chose not to go with the XT version because the few extra MPG matters to me with my commute. It was funny the day I went to the dealer because I already had a deal worked out to buy Silver Impreza. When I got there and saw the color with the Brown Leather interior I knew it was the touring model. I didn't even hesitate the buy the Forester instead.

When I went back to the dealer for their Love Encore promotion to receive a $50 gas card I saw a SBM XT for sale on the lot. I saw another SBM Forester 2.5 at the grocery store once recently. So while I believe the color is fairly special I won't be surprised to see several more once in a while.

·
Registered
2017 Forester (Third)
20 Posts
10 weeks in on an SBM Touring order. Saw one at the dealer before they delivered it to the customer so we could make the final decision. Never have seen one on the road.

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking more and more like what I suspected... it IS a rare color.

I like that. :)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
145 Posts
I love my Sepia Bronze Metallic F-XT! I like that it's easy to maintain the appearance and it's a color that not common.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,877 Posts
Hope for you it doesn't go the way of the 2010-11 Paprika Red Pearl, I really liked it when I first saw it under driving conditions, not so much standing still, looked bronzish under streetlights, discontinued after two years. Color trends are getting shorter and shorter in duration, 2-3 years and they're gone.

AUTOMOTIVE COLOR TRENDS - PPG - Paints, Coatings and Materials Scroll down for future trends

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope for you it doesn't go the way of the 2010-11 Paprika Red Pearl, I really liked it when I first saw it under driving conditions, not so much standing still, looked bronzish under streetlights, discontinued after two years. Color trends are getting shorter and shorter in duration, 2-3 years and they're gone.

AUTOMOTIVE COLOR TRENDS - PPG - Paints, Coatings and Materials Scroll down for future trends
One of the reasons I chose SBM for my '17 FXT had to do with my '96 Blazer, now gone... it was a similar color. It always sat outside, went everywhere, and always looked the same. Bland, maybe, to some, but to me it was and remains a good memory because it looked like what it was... a do anything, go anywhere, capable vehicle that didn't complain in silence about it travails with environmental graffiti on its paint. Just like this Forester has turned out to be.

Given how satisfying this fine machine is I really don't care if the color is discontinued tomorrow. I intend to keep it, for a long time, and when it eventually gets traded away it won't show it age like so many other colors do. Looks good today and will look good tomorrow... shined up for show or shouldering the inevitable burden of Mother Nature's patina.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
10 Posts
Thinking about ordering the '17 SBM SJ after my lease ends on my '16 Black SJ (very common here in Ottawa). Think about how good it would look with black wheels/grill/tint etc.. In the meantime, post shots of yours!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
3 Posts
I just got a 2017 FXT SMB! There was two in our area, one dealership didn't budge on price, and the other was willing to play so we went for it! Love the color combo!

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
Not a Subaru unfortunately :crying: but a vehicle of similar color, I too like my CRV color for the same reason that you like your SBM.
Sometimes it looks a grey color and other times it looks like a darkish brown with a gold fleck through it, just depends on the light and the angle. Honda call this color Modern Steel Metallic.

(Not my actual car)

·
Registered
2016 XT CVT
92 Posts
It this color only available on the XT Touring? If so, that is a nice way to set it apart from the premium. I wish they had colors limited to the xt.

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It this color only available on the XT Touring? If so, that is a nice way to set it apart from the premium. I wish they had colors limited to the xt.
No, just the 2017 Touring models, including the 2.5i Touring.

SBM is only available with the SBL interior, making the Tourings a visually distinctive model. The 2.0XT Touring is set apart by its front facia and the XT badge on the back. Those cues, together with its SBM color and SBL interior, set these few and far between FXTs apart from all others, past and present.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts