Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a lot of time looking for threads pertinent to my SH generation, but most of the ones that pop up are for SF or SG. This gets really frustrating and wastes a lot of time.

How about dividing up parts of the forum by generation? Take a look at F150Forum.com or Northamericanmotoring.com for good examples.
Thanks!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
My Suggestion/Solution:

Simply post the generation designation before the title on each thread you post. So instead of posting a title for "Front end whine", you would post up a title that reads "SG: Front end whine". That way, people know EXACTLY what generation the thread is for. This way, we won't have to re-do the entire site, AND browsing for information will be much easier. Win-Win situation for all.

Why separating the forum by generation could be trouble.......

It sounds like it would be nice, but I'm a site Admin on my motorcycle forum and we switched to something like that.......we eventually went back to the old way of doing things, and here is why.......

On this entire forum, you have MANY sub-forums which would have to be repeated for each generation. (3 or 4 gen's depending on how you look at it). Meaning, you would have to have a problems, how-to, brakes, engine/exhaust, engine management, exterior/body, fuel economy/fuel additives, interior/electronics, lighting/electrical, suspension/handling, tire/wheel tech, towing, transmission/driveline, utility/protection threads repeated for EACH generation. Now, this sounds like it would be beneficial, but here's what we noticed was happening on the motorcycle forum......

With this that particular setup, you would be segregating the entire member base to their generation, meaning that the members would have to browse through 3 or 4 times as many forums topics. People being people won't do this, and they'll just stick with their own generation......meaning you would have 3 or 4 times LESS people looking at the other gen-specific forums, and questions and threads would die much more quickly than they do now due to lack of traffic. Not only that, but a lot of information is "backward compatible" to previous generations, so you would have repeat threads in each of the gen-forums.

Honestly, I've found that there are already a LOT of sub-forums and find myself easily getting lost the way it is now. Separating the forum into the separate generations would essentially be the same as each generation having their own website address (well, that effect anyway when it comes to thread traffic and such)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.