Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a little backstory. I have absolutely no knowledge as to what has been done to this car as far as electrical or mechanical, I bought it from the original owner so I'm fairly certain that it hasn't been manhandled.

This is my story. I was driving to work today, very relaxed like, and all of the sudden I went to shift to fifth and as soon as I let the pedal back out I felt something tugging on my shoelace, I freaked. I reached down just a little bit and felt around, low and behold its some sort of sensor. I then just tucked it away underneath my dash to keep it from popping back out again. I took pictures when I arrived at my job and traced the double brown wires back to some sort of module right above my OBD2 port behind my dash.

It looks like a OEM "sensor" due to the clean whole cut in underside of my dash and the fact that the wirejob seems to be untouched and in its original wrapping. I have keyless entry from factory but as far as that I don't think I have anything else.

Thats the culprit in question, dangling down all nonchalantly. :biggrin: Oh, and the metallic portion is also threaded, not a clue in gods creation why though.

I suspect that this is its very own hole, fits snuggly through it too.

And last but certainly not least, the module that it connects to, oh so cleanly. Note the separated brown wires, that is where it merges with the bundle of wires that somehow travels to the module.

I apologize for the horrendous pictures, they were taken on my iPhone so they are semi-decent pictures. If I'm forgetting details I'm sorry, it's late and been one heck of a day.

Any suggestions/clues are appreciated! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think I should take it to a stealership or something of the like? I can't think of anything short of ripping my dash apart to find out what it's for and a stealership might do just that, only charge me for it. Does anybody just so happen to know what that module is exactly?

In any case, thank you Max. I'll do some more searching.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
it looks like the remote entry program button. on some of the SF foresters theres a little button down under the steering column to the left side of everything (looks to be about where your picture is) and its usually a small small black button you hold during the process of reprogramming a new keyless entry remote. im assuming that if the black button part was broken off, it could possibly come out of the housing, letting it to dangle there.

if we have any SFs come in the shop tomorrow with them ill check to see if it looks the same and ill get back to you.

-john

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
It's an aftermarket alarm system. That's the valet button. And I would guess it was installed by a decent shop, but not too good. I always hide the valet button better than that.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
It's an aftermarket alarm system. That's the valet button. And I would guess it was installed by a decent shop, but not too good. I always hide the valet button better than that.
ahh youre right, i didnt realize that the forester didnt come from subaru with keyless entry until 2000 and i didnt realize his car was a '98, '00 was the only year they had the button as well. 01 and 02 they changed it to the annoying cycle the key 10000000000000 times to program..

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
anyone know whatever happened with this? i have literally the exact same wire with the exact same button. my car is having phantom locking/unlock issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts