Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a car person, so don't know how to explain this. But my 2006 Forester frequently has a sensation of braking even though I'm not braking. It's similar to when you take your foot off the gas, but a bit more abrupt. It comes and goes quite quickly. Sometimes this is accompagnied by a smell of brakes burning, especially on longer drives up ski hills, but not always. It is usually when I'm going downhill, and I thought at first it was brakes sticking but the mechanics checked it and said the brakes are fine. Then I thought it was because I'm not used to AWD and the car is just correcting itself on slippery/icy surfaces, but it does it even when driving on clean pavement with no hill. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Automatic transmission?

I can't explain the smell, so ignoring that symptom for the moment. I'd suggest that the auto might be downshifting on you while you are slowing down or braking. It shifts down through the gears so that it will be in close to the correct gear when you decide to accelerate. Also, a short time after you let off the gas, the fuel injectors shut off, causing more engine braking that causes noticeable decelleration.

But on the gas, and accompanied by a brake pad/clutch smell, that sounds like something more serious. Give us more info about when it happens, and what you are doing with the throttle and brakes at the time.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
my auto tranny automatically downshifts going up or down hills. scared me at first but its perfectly normal

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The suggestion that it is the fuel injectors shutting off makes a bit of sense to me....I have now noticed it only does it when I have my foot lightly on the gas or when I've just let up on the gas. It is a very noticeable feeling though -- passengers notice it. It doesn't do it (from what I've observed the last week) if my foot is away from the gas pedal (eg. when going downhill).

It's a manual, so it's not the gears adjusting.

Looking forward to further suggestions/confirmations so I can rest my mind.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
cathykelowna said:
It's a manual, so it's not the gears adjusting.
So you are going up hill, or down, and let off the gas and the car decelerates? What you are describing is engine braking and it is normal. I would say the burning brake smell is the clutch. Is this your first manual transmission car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts