Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted my LGT on autotrader and a Canadian couple seems really interested. We are working with them to make it happen. They are from western Canada,(no specific location given atm)

so anyways, they asked me via email...

"Hi Brian,

perfect thanks again, If you could get a couple pictures of the undercarriage that would be great. Although it sounds like your salt/chem mixture is probably close to what they use here.

There are a couple things I would need from you. Your local Subaru dealer should be able to provide you with a recall letter, stating that the car is fully up to date on all recalls, these are usually free. Would you be able to do that if we did come to an agreement?

Also, I will need the title faxed to the border crossing where I would be driving the car through 72 hours before I cross...I dont know why the time limit. So we would need to work something out there as well.

WIth the repayment of the lien and getting the title, would that take a few hours? or is that a couple day process?

Thanks

Jan"

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 5 speed
170 Posts
That's pretty much standard for importing into Canada, a bit of pain on the sellers part. I think the recall letter is quite easy to get though.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
RIV requirements

Recall clearance
Recall clearance documents verify that any defects identified by the manufacturer as a potential safety risk to the vehicle’s operator, occupants and public at large, have been corrected.

Recall clearance is the responsibility of the importer. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) will not release the inspection form for your vehicle until confirmation that there are no outstanding recalls, has been received.

To facilitate the timely release of your vehicle’s RIV inspection form and avoid delays or additional expenses, we recommend that you get your recall clearance documents early in the import process. Documents remain valid for 30 days prior to import and you can submit your recall information to RIV before you import the vehicle.

We like paperwork up here in the great white north, it gives those of us in forestry something to do. :biggrin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
The title needs to be faxed to the US border crossing 72 hrs. prior to allow time for any stolen vehicle reports to show up before they can get out of the country. Border guard will compare faxed title to actual VIN before letting you cross.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
Title, registration and bill of sale have to be faxed and only if that crossing accepts faxes. The recall letter should be obtained from Subaru of America only.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
Hey Tuned 200,
We'll see a lot more of those transactions over the next months as the C$ is at parity with the US making it very worthwile to import.

I concur with all of the above, having imported 3 foz into Canada over the past 4 years.

As posted above, these are the standard documents. All the info is on www.riv.ca

In terms of the clearance letter, last time I checked requirements were as follows:

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location.. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

Talk to Crystal Thomas at SOA (CustDlrServices at subaru.com), she was very helpfull to get the .pdf recall letter on SOA letterhead.

With respect to the title; you pretty much get to an agreement with the buyer, and then you send the original off to the US customs where the buyer will cross.

You have to establish a minimum level of trust in the other party to conclude the deal.
I know some sellers were ok with getting a % or down payment and the remaining balance in cash at the time of pick-up, others have done an all cash deal at time of pick-up, and others (in rare cases) have received a transfer upfront ahead of the picking up the keys. It comes down to negotiation between the two parties. The key is to remember that each party handles some risk and to get to an in-between that pleases both.

Personnally, I think the buyer should do his homework and give specific instructions to minimize the seller`s involvement in the paperwork (e.g. I got the recall letter myself using the VIN and dealt with all the other paperwork, the seller only had to send the title to the border).

Another thing to think about is license plate: the seller should get a temporary permit from the US DMV, leave the plates on and get them back in the mail, or find another way so that the buyer can get the car into canada...

Sorry I'm all over the place... bottom line should be:

1.Establish some trust
2. Get the buyer to figure out the importing process
3. Share as much info before hand (pictures, issues, etc.) that way the on pick-up day there will be no surprises and everything will go smoothly.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Looks like everything has been covered already.
It's easier to have copies of the documents over-nighted to US Customs... saves the hassle involved with faxes. They'll need to determine their closest US Border crossing that will deal with vehicle export clearances. All Canadian border crossings are equipped to process vehicle importation, at least in Ontario.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
340 Posts
The title needs to be faxed to the US border crossing 72 hrs. prior to allow time for any stolen vehicle reports to show up before they can get out of the country. Border guard will compare faxed title to actual VIN before letting you cross.
Actually it has to be sent to the CBSA office, not the CBP office. It's CBSA dealing with the car as an import. If everything is in order, the officer there will let the car cross.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Make sure you do it in the daytime, because as we all know, Canadians are afraid of the dark.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Yeah, though you'd think it was the other way around since US Customs is only open from 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday for vehicle processing while Canada Customs is open 24/7 - 365... odd :crazy:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL

So, the couple emailed me back and tried to lowball me...LOL. I refused and had a couple come look at it this past weekend. Im waiting to hear back from them. Then the Canadians email me back and want to make it happen...doh.

I have to give the locals 1st dibs since the other people backed out, but now want back in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts