1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 Subura Forester L
182,000 Miles

Sometime before i owned it the radiator was replaced.
@ 137k had head gaskets replaced and headers resurfaced and new timing belt put on

Recently had front right axle replaced and both rear bearings as well as left rear hub. Had MAF replaced and now the timing belt is off a tooth.

I have put quite a bit of money into this car and am wondering what other problems i can expect out of this car, or with all this changes should it last awhile longer without any problems or should i sell it in anticipation of more problems. This car has nickel and dimed the hell out of me but from what I've read it shouldn't have any more major problems.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Sell. Get an SH if you can. If money is an issue, then your choice is rather limited. Keep what you got until you can upgrade.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Whats an SH?

I figure if I buy another 5k (All i really wanna spend) car it will have similar problems and will have to repeat all this **** i have done on my current car. Although maybe this car is just a pos im not really sure.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
The crappiest thing about cars-- depreciation. Not to mention, as they get older, you are constantly replacing one thing or the other, especially if it's approaching 200k miles. Sure, the sube will go the distance, but between maintenance and wear and tear, you're investing a lot into something that just keeps going down in value. for me, that's a tough pill to swallow, unless you REALLY like doin the work yourself and you REALLY love your car.

Tally up how much money you've put into your SF. That plus the value of the car could warrant an upgrade.

Can you try to trade it in, put some more money down and then finance? Or trade in/sell your SF, put some money down on a second gen foz or similar. That may help keep down the costs of a newer foz, assuming you want another foz.

Heck, I'm just ranting now...I'm sure your circumstances hardly relate to anything I'm writing. Sorry and good luck!

·
Registered
1999 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ya its probably best to sell it. I have put about 3600 into it since I've had it. >< What should I get? I can spend about 7-10k. Damn, wish i had enough for a XT :D

If I bought a newer Forester with about 100k miles, what is the probability I would need to get the head gaskets fixed in the next 50k or the ball bearings. I'm sure it depends on many factors but I've already put so much into this one I would hate to have to do it all over again :(, also I'm afraid this one will need much more work so it may be time to sell. Im rather torn and not sure what I should do.

Is there a better section to put this thread?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
My personal rule is if a car is costing me more than 1k/yr to maintenance I sell it. Any more than that is excessive for us more frugal people here. If you don't think you'll get 3.5 years more for your 3600$, sell it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts