Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Forester-specific but something we can all relate to, I’m sure.

Got home from work today to find a white van parked in my space. I live in an apartment, privately rented with a designated parking space (included and paid for as part of the tenancy) which is strictly speaking, off-road - so effectively private land.

I left a firm but fair note on their windscreen, as there was a visitors bay clearly free and available. They were bold enough to leave a reply...

Found it amusing at first but a few hours later and I’m actually quite angry about it.

It’s the second time this particular vehicle has been found in my space, I had intended to get the note out first time but they left before I’d written it out. Had it in the car ready this time for the next time I found someone in there.

Thoughts / similar stories welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester
185 Posts
What does rental company say - it should be there responsibility to enforce rules and get your the space to which your assigned.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
Take a photo with the license plate clearly visible as well as proof of the location of the parking spot. Complain at the office and have them get the car towed.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
637 Posts
Not Forester-specific but something we can all relate to, I’m sure.

Got home from work today to find a white van parked in my space. I live in an apartment, privately rented with a designated parking space (included and paid for as part of the tenancy) which is strictly speaking, off-road - so effectively private land.

I left a firm but fair note on their windscreen, as there was a visitors bay clearly free and available. They were bold enough to leave a reply...

Found it amusing at first but a few hours later and I’m actually quite angry about it.

It’s the second time this particular vehicle has been found in my space, I had intended to get the note out first time but they left before I’d written it out. Had it in the car ready this time for the next time I found someone in there.

Thoughts / similar stories welcome.
https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Locks/Stallion/288-02020.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwwtTmBRBqEiwA-b6c_4VD1CZlYiHueXsQ4djxLqw2PE460c1blXggo7mkESqH7YVqCWl65RoCDpgQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have taken the relevant photos; the missus also spotted the owners exiting the adjacent building so we know they are working for, or visiting, one of just eight flats - the residents of one of which are well known for late night gatherings with cars scattered around the building, into any space they can find.

I think the van is self owned, looks like a typically worn out nine year old white van - certainly doesn’t appear to be a rental motor.

Pictures of the note and the van in my space will be going to the property management; alas parking is a civil matter which means that they cannot be followed up by tracing the registration.

I had initially parked my car directly behind the van at right angles and had every intention of leaving it there, thereby forcing them to either locate me, or wait around until I noticed them waiting to leave - but then I would have been blocking access to the buildings further down the close, which isn’t fair on them.
@JamesBond - great idea but unfortunately in the UK, red tape and human rights rules would make it more likely I’d have my collar felt for ‘obstructing another vehicle’ or ‘causing damage’ than they would for parking incorrectly.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
A friend of mine used a service similar to this to good effect...

Car Park & Management - Parking Solutions - Self Ticketing UK

Personally, I'd suppress your anger for the good of your car, but I'd be raging too in your shoes.

I've had more than one set to with people blocking our drive over the years... some of which came close to blows. I'm not really a fighter, but fortunately I'm big enough to look like I might be... :lol:

You could always get some nice bumper stickers or decals to adorn the trespasser's vehicle... just use your imagination!

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,997 Posts
Whoh...... That would seriously make me violent, however the correct thing to do nowadays is to report it to the relevant authorities or at least log the happenings. It looks like whoever wrote the reply could do with maybe a few more years at school, learning how to write and perhaps a behavioural class or two... Remember the good old days where a slap would sort the situation out? Its guttering that those days have passed and there's so many metrosexual ***** laws in place.

As said above; watch the wee poope doesn't damage your car and maybe install a security cam for peace of mind.

All the best pal and try not to get into a pissing match.

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there after, ask your renter if you can change spots. The guy will probably mess with the car considering his response.
It’s an idea but it then requires someone else to sacrifice their spot to take mine. There are 64 apartments here, and 64 allocating parking bays. It’s unfortunate but there are six undercroft bays under each building, the remaining two spots are adjacent to, but not immediately outside.
If I had an undercroft spot, I wouldn’t willingly exchange it for one that was in the open and a short distance away, so I don’t expect anyone else to do so.

Lol. I would park somewhere else for awhile, and then take this note for the invitation that it is.
Part of me considered it, but then I thought that’s giving in; I don’t pay for the privilege of that space to be used wantonly by others. Fair game if the space is on a public highway and I had zero claim to it; but that’s not the case here. I have a right, and a little responsibility too, to ensure the parking spaces are used correctly and not abused.
@TheRealMrRow are you allowed to install one of those fold down locking metal devices to secure the space?
Afraid not - neither the space nor the apartment belong to me, I’d have to ask for permission. If I ever moved home, I’d want to take it with me as they aren’t cheap; and knowing the UK and its councils’ penchants for barmy rules, I’d probably need to apply to the local council for planning permission, or something else similarly petty.

What the owners of the vehicle do not realise is that
a) we have direct line of sight from the apartment to the space,
b) we know what they look like and have their VRN, and
c) they don’t know who I am at all - only that someone has asked them not to park in the space they’ve been using.

I hold the cards currently, should it continue. Most other people who have been caught out have politely moved their vehicle and never parked there again: this is the first response I’ve ever had, and I’m certainly not going to worry about someone who uses playground-level retorts and has the writing of a six year old.

L

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
I'm with you 99% on this... my only concern is your worrying and repeated use of the word 'apartment'... you live in England, so it's a flat. :icon_razz:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts