Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm hoping to get some pointers before purchasing a used Subie Forester. I have previously owned, albeit a looooong time ago, a sportswagon which gave me faithful service until I was forced to off load it due to a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with the car itself. In the time I had it the only major inconvenience/expense I had with it was a broken cam belt and except for the humiliation on the side of the road even that wasn't that bad LOL.

Since then I have also had a Liberty which also gave excellent service and only got dispatched after we made the tree change to rural NSW and got sick of getting flat tyres on metal roads and simultaneously a new company car displaced the Liberty anyway.

Now for my current dilemma: I am off loading a Nissan Patrol for a variety of reasons that has everything to do with the car itself, and I want to replace it with a Subaru. I am leaning heavily towards the Forester, although could be persuaded to look at an Outback. I say that because the Liberty was perfect for our needs except for the low profile tyres. When we got it we were living in the city and so the tyres then were never a problem.

Our needs are that it needs to suit 2 adults and 2 kids, be suitable for general country motoring at a rate of 60km/day on the school runs, plus family holidays towing a Cub camper trailer. In addition it will be used as an animal ferry service to the vet from time to time and occasionally used for basic farm tasks like carrying fencing gear to the job etc, or delivering tools to work areas but not in a 4WD capacity.

I am very nervous about what I don't know about, having been seriously bitten with major expenses with outgoing Nissan Patrol so if there is something about to bite me with an 04 Forester, in any model, I would sure like to know in advance.

I am suggesting the 04 range on less than 100km because that seems to be my price range based on researching the usual used car places. What kinds of maintenance issues can I expect for that age of Forester? Not just mechanical, but also things electrical or related to interiors, dash items etc

Anyone got any recommendations that will help me narrow the search?

All opinions appreciated.
Jan

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Hey mate!

I have a 2004 2.5 X Forester with 144 000 kms on her. Have had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Have had timing belt changed at 100k plus replaced the water pump too. Otherwise NOTHING else has gone wrong / had any problems. NEVER broken down, ALWAYS starts first go, electronics all good. Basically VERY happy with it. Previous car was a hilux and was used to the good build quality by toyota.

Note, I am VERY anal when it comes to car servicing etc. Service the Foz every 5000km or 3 Months religiously. Using only premuim products. Also have only filled her up with BP 98 Octane. So these may play a part in my trouble free history to date.

How much you looking to spend? Getting one with less than 100k on the dial you be looking close to $20k I'd think :)

Also, I live in Rural NSW too, love fishing and outdoors, never met a track that I could not go on with the Foz :) Great car all round!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sean85,
You near south eastern NSW by any chance? We are near Capt Flat if you know it, but spend rare spare time in the outdoors also. In fact when we were Liberty owners we really impressed that we didn't need chains going fishing at Jindabyne, there was snow on the ground but obviously not mid winter.

I found your response most reassuring - thanks for taking the time.
jan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts