Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XTEN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon All.

I am new to the world of Foresters and have joined this Forum in order to obtain expert advice and avoid buying the wrong Vehicle.

I am looking to replace an Abbott Racing tuned Saab 9000 Aero with a car that can be tuned to offer similar levels of performance with the advantages of better ground clearance and better traction while still retaining that essential ability to bring a grin to my face and take out a line of slow moving taffic...

The Forester seems the ideal choice but which version is the best basis for further tuning? Budget is around £6k to include any improvements. The car must be a manual and I would prefer an understated exterior.

My initial thoughts are a good S-turbo with a ppp but would an S/TB be a better bet? I have tried to search but this Forum's search engine doesn't recognise s/tb.

Many thanks

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XTEN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou very much for your reply - very useful links.

I take it JDM = Japanese Domestic Market?

It would also seem that a PPP may not really be worth paying much of a premium for unless the exhaust system provides a good basis for future tuning?

After an afternoon searching on the internet looking for tuners it appears that I may be fortunate as a certain Mr Forrest is only 10 miles down the road.:biggrin:

Are there any particular sites or places to find a good used Forester?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Good luck on your search. :)
Where are you from?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,597 Posts
Welcome.

Before I got into Foz's I had a SAAB 9000 Aero that was bonkers!

British Racing Green, Reg N 4ERO it looked liked AERO.

This thing was chipped (before I understood Mapping) at 300 bhp.

The problem was all the power going through the front wheels.

This thing would do wheelies @ 90 + in 4th!

I made the mistake of having a bit of fun with a chap in a Volvo T5.

Unfortunately for me,,,, it was Plod in an unmarked car!

I got stopped on a rgular basis after that, it had to go.

The Foz is briliant, the folk on here are magic, be it tuning advice, where to buy, etc etc top forum.

Best of luck.

Kind regards

Alan MaC

·
Registered
2008 XTEN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alan

Nice to see someone else enjoying their Aero... They are a riot aren't they?

And so unassuming, a real sleeper.

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
:biggrin::

they certainly are, as I said, the problem is front wheel drive.

Now if SAAB had 1) 4 wheel drive & 2) No contact with GM, they would have been unbeatable.

Now the Dutch own them, who knows??

regards

AM

PS Foz's are great!

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
being completely unbias.... whom I kidding..... I was in the same position as you 5 years ago and after numerous test drives in s-turbos I took and s/tb out and knew then I didnt want an s-turbo anymore.

One of the members on here sold his s/tb not too long ago and its back up for sale.
Subaru : subaru forester sti>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I should add the s/tb is more powerful and is a good starting point, but its also more thirsty when driven, er properly. It doesnt come with a sunroof but who needs one of them then you have A/C and the seat material pattern is a little pychadelic.

heres mine:

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
Looks good Mike.

I thought you never cleaned it???:biggrin:

Regards

AM

PS Thanks for the PC tips

A

·
0 Posts
6k will buy you an XT which is the later shape than mine in my avatar.
You will need to then fully decat it including the up-pipe, fit a larger turbo, panel air filter, silicone intercooler kit and a remap..
Once this done you then need to think of suspension and brakes.
Suspension I would buy a set of Eibach springs, 20-22mm adjustable rear anti roll bar, solid drop links front and rear and a fast road geometry setup. Leave the front roll bar as it is good enough.
Brakes I am not sure if the SG came with 4 pots? if not fit a set of impreza 4 pots with some performance discs and pads, easily good enough for around 300bhp.
Decent tyres would also be on my list..
Hayward and scott will sell you a turbo back system and an up-pipe specifically tailored to fit the forester, mine is all H&S stuff and it sounds the dogs..
Andy

·
Registered
2008 XTEN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the advice.

I had previously seen that st/b but had discounted it as being an Auto and over lowered for my needs.

I hadn't yet cottoned on that st/b's don't have the sunroof - a major domestic selling point. I had also thought that the s/tb was the manual version and the t/tb the auto but that doesn't seem correct either. Is the t/tb the high output with all the toys version i.e. sunroof etc?

£6K is my limit for both buying and tweaking.

Would a 2.0 XT be a better option than a s-turbo?

Many thanks

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
Inside money saving tip - get an STI. :icon_wink:

Save you a fortune later on. Esp if you're a modhead which I suspect you are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts