Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading for days, stickies and all.

What I am looking to do is to put a set of newly acquired 05 WRX (sedan) struts with 22K miles on them, paired with WRX Wagon springs that I also just acquired (I know i only have to replace the rear springs).

I can't find any pics or info on just how low that will put my 2006 FXT ?

This is a temporary measure as I have also acquired everything I need to do a complete STi driveline swap, however the actual swap is a couple of months away while I do all of the group-n bushing installation, glass bead and powder coat all of the knuckles, clean and paint whatever else needs that treatment, selecting wheels and what not.

Anyway, if anyone has a pic of a FOz with WRX struts on wagon springs, I would love to see it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that makes me wonder if I should rock the STi springs on my new WRX struts?
I bought Wagon take offs on Friday because I thought that was the best way to go, but the more I read, the more I think the STi take offs will be an option as well?

05 Sedan WRX struts with 05 Wagon springs
OR
05 Sedan WRX struts with 05 STi springs

What is the better setup?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
The WRX struts are under-valved for the stiffer STi springs, and being spec'd for a sedan they tend to sag in the rear...
I've got the stiffer valved KYB GR-2's which work perfectly with the STi springs.

It's a tough call on which setup to actually go with though, I got a deal on new GR-2's and '05 STi springs... then slapped on some 3/8" saggy-butt spacers to level things out.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I'd install the STi springs first and see if you can live with them. They match our car's weight alot better than WRX springs. The sag is just their design -- look at any stock STi, front gap is like twice the rear. I'm running mine with 1/2" spacers in the rear only now and the gap in the front is still larger than the rear, but the car is pretty even otherwise.

2.5" drop is probably the wagon springs, STi springs will be more like 3" - 3.5" drop from stock.

Stan

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd install the STi springs first and see if you can live with them. They match our car's weight alot better than WRX springs. The sag is just their design -- look at any stock STi, front gap is like twice the rear. I'm running mine with 1/2" spacers in the rear only now and the gap in the front is still larger than the rear, but the car is pretty even otherwise.

2.5" drop is probably the wagon springs, STi springs will be more like 3" - 3.5" drop from stock.

Stan
Thanks a lot Stan,
So would I leave the stock WRX bumpers in place if using the STi springs?
Or should I cut one nub off?
I am thinking this would be a pretty nice ride if the springs are more closely matched weight wise.
The other cool thing is suspension travel will be pretty close to OEM STi travel would it not?

I think I am going to try it out because at the end of the day, if these things feel decent now, then when I do the swap, I will already have an idea about which way to go from there.

It would be so nice if there was a GR2 type option for the 05+ STi struts.
Please correct me if I am wrong but we are severely limited suspension wise when switching to STi struts?
Seems like we got STi take offs with Swift, RCE or other springs and then the jump to coilovers.

I am just not convinced that coilovers are a good call for a daily driver, which is intended to be driven "spiritedly" once complete.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Yeah it's 2.5" for the WRX combo. I think STI springs is about 0.75" difference (at full compression), but don't quote me on that. And you should be fine leaving the bump stops in place without cutting. I'm on STI lowering springs and I haven't cut them and I don't hit.

Yes, we are limited, since we can only switch to 04 STI for bolt on; 05-07 needs slotting on one of them to work and the other one bolts on fine, can't remember which axle though.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
There are quite a few strut options, and tons of spring options if you go for Impreza fitment suspension. GR2s aren't really performance struts -- they are pretty close to OEM WRX struts, which are made by KYB anyway. Tokico D-specs, KYB AGXs, Ohlin fixed perch and Koni Sports are a few options which will all be better than the stock WRX struts and GR2s. '04 STi struts are nice, but very old now.

Problem with coil-overs, is a nice set will run you $2,500 and up, and most of them come with very high-rate springs out of the box.

My car is pretty close to the one above (if not higher) with STi springs and 1/2" spacers in the rear:

Stan

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well don't forget guys,
This is a temporary measure for me.
I am doing a FULL STi swap here in the next 2 months.
I have everything from an 07 STi waiting to go in the Foz as I write this.
Putting WRX Sedan struts is a stop gap to get me by while I do some reconditioning to the STI parts.
Namely, I am installing every Group-N bushing known to exist on these STi parts BEFORE I do the swap.

I just want the best option with the WRX parts I have in hand to get me by for a couple of months.

WRX Sedan Struts with either Wagon springs, or STi springs.
Either way I will have 3/8" spacers in hand to use for either option.

The questions about STi struts are asked because I want to know what my best options are when I actually do the swap over the STi driveline stuff.
The swap will be 6MT, R180, Front cross member and steering rack, all suspension components (knuckles, hubs, etc) and axles.

I really would like to avoid coil overs if I can get away with it.
Not because of cost, but because I have yet to ride in a car that has them that I would classify as a good daily driven set up.
They all seem too harsh to me.

Can 05 STi strut inserts be replaced with anything that is adjustable?
My knowledge ends there.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Hmm, for a 2 month solution, I would honestly just avoid it. You need to go through the swap itself, along with alignment. Then when you finally switch to 5x114.3, you'll need suspension that works for that instead of 5x100, so all of this will need to be sold again. Just go from stock to the full 07 sti swap. That's my best recommendation.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
That's a good question, I don't know of many adjustable struts for '05-'07 STis. Most just run aftermarket springs with OEM struts, or coilovers. I'd try either red Prodrives, RCE blacks or Swift Spec-Rs on stock STi struts, or just pony up for nice coilovers.

What do you want to be able to adjust on the struts?

Stan

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
^ah yeah, i was going to come back and edit to type that too.. most guys i've seen just go to coilovers on 05-07 stis. i guess ohlins are probably the next most frequent i've seen.

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a good question, I don't know of many adjustable struts for '05-'07 STis. Most just run aftermarket springs with OEM struts, or coilovers. I'd try either red Prodrives, RCE blacks or Swift Spec-Rs on over stock STi struts.

Stan
Thanks Stan, mainly hoping for some rebound adjustment on in a strut, similar to what the earlier WRX guys get to enjoy....wishful thinking I know.

I have Swift "Sport" springs on STi struts in an STI swapped 2006 WRX, they are nice.
I also have every group-n mount and bushing on the WRX, along with every GTSpec chassis brace made, strut tower braces and fender braces.
The car is on rails.
The NVH was increased for sure but that was so overlooked by how much handling improved that it is a no brainer for me to do the same to the Foz.

While it may sound like a lot of work for a short period of time, I cannot stand the way the Foz drives on stock struts/springs.
It is a wallowy pig and it feels completely unsafe to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts