Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Security Shock Sensor upgrade worth it? I have and 06 X and it has the basic open the door honking horn alarm. Since no one cares when an alarm sounds anyway...

The dealer wants about $169 installed.

I may get a Lojack but how much of a target is a Forester? Do many get vandalized or stolen?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes happy I got mine but it was cheaper since I had it added when I bought the car. It could stop or slow down a smash and grab and also if my car gets bumped I will be able to hear the alarm go off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are the tiniest bit handy, install it yourself. I threw in the entire security system (which I believe includes a shock sensor) myself, using the instructions on Scoobymods (although the instructions it comes with are perfectly adequate). It was easy, took next to no time, and saved me bunches of money off the dealer's install.

As for whether it is worth it, check with your insurer -- somethimes they'll give a discount that will allow the thing to pay for itself after a couple of years.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to but saw this posted at SubieGals dealer site:

NOTE:This product should be installed by a trained technician at a Subaru Dealership. IF you decide to install this product it must be activated by a trained technician at a Subaru Dealership utilizing a Subaru Select Monitor. The perimeter alam (shock sensor) will not function unless it is activated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to stray from the topic but I recently purchased the OEM security upgrade kit for the 05 Forester 2.5x. I was surpised there wasn't any visual indicator (red led) included. This I feel is probably one of the better deterents on an alarm and I was disappointed this kit did not have it. Anyone know if a led can be added to this system. I am pretty handy but I don't know if this system will even support it and what pin/wire would drive it. Not much info available on this kit. Any suggestions other than the "invest in a good/real" alarm system would be very much appreciated. Thanks

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tre36 said:
ogopogo, looks like the OEM alarm for the 06 models aren't sold as one unit like the 03-05 Subarus. Those were plug and play and easy to program yourself.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=897

If what the warning says is true, you may be out of luck doing it yourself. Might be due to engine immobilzer?
I'm just going to have the dealer do it with my oil change and just get it over with. I still want a LoJack.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
Garyart1 said:
Not to stray from the topic but I recently purchased the OEM security upgrade kit for the 05 Forester 2.5x. I was surpised there wasn't any visual indicator (red led) included. This I feel is probably one of the better deterents on an alarm and I was disappointed this kit did not have it. Anyone know if a led can be added to this system. I am pretty handy but I don't know if this system will even support it and what pin/wire would drive it. Not much info available on this kit. Any suggestions other than the "invest in a good/real" alarm system would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Taking the risk of straying even further away from the topic: Have you considered simply putting in an LED somewhere, where it LOOKS like an LED alarm?

T

·
0 Posts
Garyart1 said:
The kit shouldn't come with an LED because the LED is already built into the dash. I believe it's the "security" icon just below the tach. At least it is on the 04.

I guess if you wanted the LED in a more discreet location then that's a different story.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shock sensor is a complete waste of money. I have one on my 05 OB and the option is only designed to work in the event of multiple strikes to the car (per Subaru). The only way the dealer could verify it was working was to roll down the window, activate the alarm system (aka lock the doors), wait a minute or two and then bang on the steering wheel with your hand.

Big waste of money....don't bother.
-S

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
It's a shock sensor not a motion sensor. The purpose if for it to go off with a hard impact. I have a TSB about testing it and rolling down the window arming the system then hitting the steering wheel is the proper way to test it.

cut and paste from the TSB:
-------
SOURCE: Subaru Tech Tips TT0505-002
TITLE: Alarm System Operation
APPLIES TO: 05 Legacy/Outback
SERVICE TIP:
There are a couple of basic things you can do if the owner says they believe the alarm system is not working correctly.
- First, go into the BIU Customizing and be sure the siren function is turned OFF. The US market system does not use a siren, and turning it on has the system trying to sound or looking for a component that isn't there.
- Second, establish what mode the alarm system is in. Is it in the valet mode or not? You can either check the dash light flash or open the driver's door and press BOTH buttons for 3 or more seconds. If the horn now sounds it is OUT of valet mode.
Many of the customers seem to complain that the horn has stopped sounding. They then may push the buttons in any number of combinations in an attempt to get it to sound and accidentally cause the alarm system to go INTO valet mode and not realize that they have done it. The procedure for turning the "valet" mode on or off is explained in their owner's manual. The alarm information begins on page 2-23 and the valet mode is listed specifically on page 2-27.
There have also been some questions about the impact sensor. This is an optional component that must be installed prior to turning on the sensor. Just turning it on will not make the function work. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional impact sensor, it will be mounted under the passenger's front seat. Its operation is explained in detail on page 2-29 in the owner's manual. We strongly recommend you do NOT tap or pound on the windshield as a means of activating/testing the impact sensor. The manufacturer of the sensor recommends you tap on the steering wheel to test the system. Also, the sensitivity settings work opposite of what you might think. "0" is the most sensitive, and the sensitivity decreases as the numbers increase.

-----------------------------

·
Registered
32 Posts
Peaty said:
It's a shock sensor not a motion sensor. The purpose if for it to go off with a hard impact. I have a TSB about testing it and rolling down the window arming the system then hitting the steering wheel is the proper way to test it.
Thanks for the TSB details...might help those who are trying to get their option working. Good luck to those individuals.

Subaru's TSB proves my point unfortunately. Someone smashes a window and the shock sensor won't activate the alarm based on the TSB, but knocking on the steering wheel will? Great freature Subaru! So our Subaru's will be protected by those steering wheel knocking thieves. :rolleyes:

I have the shock sensor installed and a child rammed his bicycle into the side of my car, dented and scratched the door, and the alarm didn't go off. And this option works how??????

I have yet to find anyone that actually thinks the shock sensor actually works and/or is worth the money.

-S

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
You can adjust the sensitivity, yours may be set too low. Mine will go off if I kick the tire hard enough. It is a two stage system. Wack it hard enough (a pillar) and it may give a single quick beep as a warning. Hard enough and it will go off. Typically smashing the window will set it off.

·
Registered
2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT
19 Posts
hate to revive an old thread, but I just had my shock sensor installed, and I want it to be set for its most sensative setting [alot of stupid parallel parkers]

~Clinton

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
Is the Security Shock Sensor upgrade worth it? I have and 06 X and it has the basic open the door honking horn alarm. Since no one cares when an alarm sounds anyway...

The dealer wants about $169 installed.

I may get a Lojack but how much of a target is a Forester? Do many get vandalized or stolen?
use the money towards a better alarm system with remote start. i take it you have the 4EAT?

_taF

·
Registered
1998 Forester
32 Posts
I'm just going to revive this OLD thread because it's what I found when searching for my answer.

I have a MY98 with the OEM alarm system. I must have the shock sensor because a gentle tap of the tire will cause the alarm to go off. It's so sensitive that a passing Harley or thump car will set it off. It's damned annoying and I would prefer not to leave it in valet mode all the time.

I know there is an adjustment for the shock sensor, but I'm hard pressed to find it. Can someone point me to where I might find it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
32 Posts
Any love here folks?

I set my alarm today, and didn't even get 5 feet away before it started to go off.

It's getting old.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited
477 Posts
I have one installed in my car. My thought process was that sometimes kids looking for things inside a car parked in a parkade will push or rock the car to see if it's alarm goes off. If it does not they will then they will break a window and get into the car without using the doors. So for me, I like the security of the shock sensor..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts