Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5xt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Forester XT and I'm having trouble with the alarm system. The alarm is activated and does respond normally to all the procedures for disarming/arming the system but the security light blinks 24/7!
It didnt do this when we got the car but then I had my local dealer make me a second key and now the light blinks twice every 2 seconds all the time. I told them that they need to fix whatever they screwed up but they are pretty stumped as well. I have heard of other people having this problem but cant find any results.

If any body has had experience with this or might know what is wrong I need some help!

Thanks in advance!

-Johan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,479 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

You have the immobilizer security in your '07. When it's disarmed, it will flash once every 3 seconds (always!). When it's armed, it will flash 2 times every 3 seconds, once it's settled into the armed mode. :wink:

For your issues, you may have the security system in valet mode. See page 2-15 in your Owner's Manual.

I didn't have the immobilizer in our '03 X, so the security light always flashing threw me at first! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
I just bought a 2007 Forester XT... ... the security light blinks 24/7!...
So does the security light in my wife's 2003 Buick LeSabre. All these years I thought it was normal!
EDIT: It just occurred to me that you mean it blinks when the car is driven. Our blinks all the time except when being driven.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5xt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess it's normal then. I'm still going to keep digging at it because I really dont like that security light! haha oh well :icon_biggrin:

Thanks!

-Johan

·
Administrator
39,479 Posts
I suspect the security light flashing is to let you & the bad guy know the immobilizer security feature is functioning or is present. :wink:

What I first didn't like was not being able to tell if I'd armed the alarm by just looking into the vehicle, as I could do on the '03 X Forester. Once I found out that one flash every 3 seconds is unarmed & two flashes every 3 seconds is armed, I was okay with this new security enhancement. I'm just glad the light doesn't flash when the vehicle is being operated! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Forester Ltd CVT
57 Posts
I have a 03 XS and I never had the light on previously either. This morning, I had to disconnect the battery and when I hooked it back up, I get the 2 flashes every few seconds. I don't know why this "feature" was never activated for the previous 6 years I have owned the car. I read through the manual (section 2-15) and it doesn't seem to give any tips for unactivating the blinky light.

I find it annoying.

I suspect the security light flashing is to let you & the bad guy know the immobilizer security feature is functioning or is present. :wink:

What I first didn't like was not being able to tell if I'd armed the alarm by just looking into the vehicle, as I could do on the '03 Forester. Once I found out that one flash every 3 seconds is unarmed & two flashes every 3 seconds is armed, I was okay with this new security enhancement. I'm just glad the light doesn't flash when the vehicle is being operated! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
39,479 Posts
I have a 03 XS and I never had the light on previously either. This morning, I had to disconnect the battery and when I hooked it back up, I get the 2 flashes every few seconds. I don't know why this "feature" was never activated for the previous 6 years I have owned the car. I read through the manual (section 2-15) and it doesn't seem to give any tips for unactivating the blinky light.

I find it annoying.
It doesn't sound right to me. It sounds like something glitched when the power was removed & restored. Try unhooking the battery again, press the brake pedal a couple time & reconnect the battery. See if this clears your problem. It almost sound like it's in the valet mode. :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT AT
47 Posts
I've never paid attention to this light, but this morning I noticed that after I locked the car it blinks 3 - 4 times per second. I don't think it's normal, but what it's trying to tell me?
It's 09 XT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts