Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2004 XS has the OEM security system on it. 3 years ago she had a remote start system installed by a 3rd party. They said they had issues and had to upgrade the system to one with an alarm and some other goodies (which they did for free). Everything has worked great until this morning.

Last night I got a phone call from my wife saying her battery was dead. She had a co-worker jump it and got it home just fine. It has been cold the last few days and was cranking slower than normal so I figured the 5 year old Duralast had seen its better days. I get home about 2 hours later and try it. It starts right up with no issues. No security light blinking, nothing (this is important, you will see later). So I get up this morning to to go work and start my car, I also try to start hers. It starts right up again. Great! Oh wait, now the security light on the dash is blinking at me... I turn it off and try again. Starts just fine but still has a blinking light.

I have a few questions here:

1. Is this a "code" that can be read by a normal ODBII scanner?
2. Could a dead battery cause this?
3. Should I contact the people who installed the remote start and see if they could shed some light on the situation? I was not there for the install as it was a birthday present for me at the time, so I don't know all the details.

FWIW earlier in October it sat for an entire weekend with the ground wire disconnected while I swapped seats in her car (had to remove her seats, head to Cincinnati to swap them, Cruised for some boobs, and re-install the seats) and had zero issues with the battery or the security system.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
593 Posts
Sounds like it might be in Valet mode.
My WRX did this to me after a battery change. Given I did not have a remote start installed.
Do you still have your factory key fobs?
If memory serves open your drivers door with the car off and hold the UNLOCK button for a few seconds.

If that does not work, Google Valet mode. I would but work has Google blocked on our computers :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts