Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Forester. Recently I noticed that I was having a problem with the alarm key fob. The battery seemed like it was dying and would open but often not lock the car. I took out the battery and checked it and tester said it was okay. Changed the battery with a new one and it unlocks slightly better but still will not lock car. Used spare fob that came with the car and no problem. Do these fobs just spontaneously break. I did not drop it or damage it recently that I know of. Any suggestions? What do these fobs cost new and do they need to be programmed, and ... do I need a new one???

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,784 Posts
Did you use a name brand battery or a cheap import? We have seen some reports here that seem to say that the fobs are sensitive to voltage differences between the two.

But if you're getting reliable unlock, I wouldn't think that the lock problem involves the quality of the radio signal. There might be something gone bad with the contacts on the lock button.

Replacements can usually be found on eBay for quite a bit less than the cost at the dealer. Look for one that looks exactly like yours or for the earlier model which is kind of square shaped with rounded corners and two buttons of different size—orange and blue or both gray. They're all interchangeable. Yes you would have to program the Forester to accept a new fob.

There's lots of good info about all this at this page on cars101.

Note that all this applies to non-turbo Foresters. If you have an XT with the immobilizer feature then you need a different remote. Suggestion: include your model type in your profile, and create a signature with year, model, and transmission type. That way we can target our answers to the specifics or your Forester.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts