Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a problem with an 06 Forester XT. The dealer has now replaced both secondary air valves - one under warrantee. The lights are on again, and now the dealer says that it's the secondary air pump(?) - code P0410. That's not under warrantee and is a $700+ repair! Is this a common problem or am I getting hosed? - they tell me that the part is not in the USA? Anybody know the part number and where to buy a used one??

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 X Prem 5MT
465 Posts
I had very similar warnings (cruise and CEL), but was getting a P0420 code instead of P0410. After taking the foz in to the dealer 3 times, they finally stopped blaming it on "too much ethanol in the gasoline" and replaced my catalytic converter under warranty. Might be a similar problem you are having, but the code is different. I thought there was a post floating around the forum that had all the codes and their meanings.... anyone remember that too?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check Engine and Cruise Light on

What's interesting is that these parts are not in the USA. Evidently they do not fail often but I've now had 3 failures. They now claim the air injection pump is bad ( Part # 14828AA030 ). Does anyone know where to get this part used?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,115 Posts
Sorry to be so blunt, but your dealer is an idiot for claiming that this is not a US part. All USDM 06+ XTs have the secondary air pump (aka smog pump) in lieu of the catted uppipe on the earlier XTs. Just inquired with my local dealer and they have the part in stock for $313.xx, but shouldn't this be covered under the federal emissions warranty?

·
Registered
2006 xt
30 Posts
I've a problem with an 06 Forester XT. The dealer has now replaced both secondary air valves - one under warrantee. The lights are on again, and now the dealer says that it's the secondary air pump(?) - code P0410. That's not under warrantee and is a $700+ repair! Is this a common problem or am I getting hosed? - they tell me that the part is not in the USA? Anybody know the part number and where to buy a used one??
we just had similiiar service to our 06 xt. secondary air pump replaced. then check engine light came back on, now there claiming two other pumps failed.
i'm starting to see a common problem here. what do you think?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intermittent Check Engine and Cruise control light

That's interesting. I've had the dealer tell me that with this condition there are many modes of failure. Now he's said that PN14828AA030 air injection pump is bad. Before it was The secondary air switching valve PN 14864AA020 and before that an air suction valve PN 14864AA030 have been replaced. I'll have to wait another month - the part is not in the USA??

It seems like the entire XT emission control system has failed in less that two months. Does anyone else have this happening? Is Subaru aware of it???

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
"About 90% of the time that this code is set, the one-way check valves have worn out or failed and allow water (which occurs naturally in the exhaust) back into the pump. In any cold climate, especially in climates with higher humidity, this water may be more excessive. The water partially fills the AIR pump, it can then freeze. When the PCM commands the pump on, if the pump is frozen it cannot turn, thus overloading the circuit and "popping" the fuse. "
"A code P0410 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Water may have collected in the AIR pump or the vent solenoid and frozen or corroded the pump
* Blown AIR pump fuse due to freezing up
"

The quoted text is GM specific, but should be the same for the forester. I have a feeling its due to your locations, especially excessive road salts and very low temperatures. I would probably just rip out the whole system, all it does is pump air into the exhaust to help cold emissions instead of having a preturbo cat

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check Engine and Cruise Lights on

Very interesting - I have 55,000 miles on the car and it's seen 6 Vermont winters, but this is ( supposedly ) summer time - why should they all fail now???? In any case, I called Subaru and, although they've not heard of similar problems, they'll pay the dealer for the part. So far they've paid for 2 out of 3 ( I didn't realize they'd pay for them the first time one went bad - my fault )

So what else can fail???

·
Registered
2006 xt
30 Posts
Very interesting - I have 55,000 miles on the car and it's seen 6 Vermont winters, but this is ( supposedly ) summer time - why should they all fail now???? In any case, I called Subaru and, although they've not heard of similar problems, they'll pay the dealer for the part. So far they've paid for 2 out of 3 ( I didn't realize they'd pay for them the first time one went bad - my fault )

So what else can fail???
i am curious at which mileage intervals you replaced these. it would appear at 55,000 now. you have had them replaced pretty frequently.

also, what is the warranty period subaru gives you on the pump after haveing it replaced?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,115 Posts
^^ It's part of the emissions system and should therefore be covered under the 8 yr./80k federal emissions warranty, no?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All three failed between 50,000 and 55,000. I don't know how long they'll warrantee the replaced parts but I'll ask.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check Engine and Cruise lights on

Well - the dealer has now replaced the secondary air pump. The lights remain on and a new(?) problem has surfaced. Now I'm told that it needs part # 14011AB373 and probably Part # 14011AB363 should also be replaced. That's another $921 in total for the latest repair. Evidently, when anything is wrong that causes the CEL to be on, the computer automatically shuts off the cruise control(?). It seems as though replacing one part causes the next part in the chain to fail(?) I don't know whether these failures are only a problem with the turbo Forester. Has anybody else had anything like this sequence of failed parts???

·
Registered
03 WRX
530 Posts
my vote.. bad gas... get good premium into her and disconnect the battery.. mine did that the last 2 years at teh ice races up North here in MN as they have crappy gas... both times I pulled over, topped off with shell or bp and reset the light... that was Jan 2009 the last time... hasnt come on since...

·
Registered
2006 xt
30 Posts
Well - the dealer has now replaced the secondary air pump. The lights remain on and a new(?) problem has surfaced. Now I'm told that it needs part # 14011AB373 and probably Part # 14011AB363 should also be replaced. That's another $921 in total for the latest repair. Evidently, when anything is wrong that causes the CEL to be on, the computer automatically shuts off the cruise control(?). It seems as though replacing one part causes the next part in the chain to fail(?) I don't know whether these failures are only a problem with the turbo Forester. Has anybody else had anything like this sequence of failed parts???
sorry to hear of your persistent problems.

i can tell you this, we definitely have similiar issues if not identical.

i took mine in for the check engine cruise ,controll flashing. it came up code for secondary air pump. they claim this car had taken on extreme amounts of water. i highly doubt, it but what do i know. the car is very new to me and i had no history with it.

anyway, they tell me to come get it. that its fixed and its all set. they can't inspect it in N.Y. until after i drive it 50 miles and the default clears from the computer. the very next day the check engine light is back on again. this time they replace both secondary valves which they didn't catch initially, although they tell me the problems are related to each other.

the dealer i bought it from claimed no knowledge of these problems even though they did a multi-point inspection on it and even inspected it in the state of maryland.

i believe the origional owner, i'm the second, probably new about this. then they unhooked the battery to try and clear the codes.

then when my dealer i bought it from got it. they never really looked at it, but who knows?

the dealer here in ny also tells me some one had tinkered with the secondary pump because the were pieces unhooked.

i called subaru of america and they did nothing in regards to warranty and claim the secondary air pump is not part of the emissions system covered under the 8yr 80,000 mile warranty. again who knows?

i took the car on about a 700 mi.trip after all this was performed,and i'm happy to report no problems so far.

i wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to solve your issues.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
1 Posts
Hello
I also have a 2006 Subaru Xt w/58,XXX mi.

So I am having some similar problems- After a 250 mile roadtrip the next time I start my car my check engine and cruise light are flashing and I take it in to dealer and they tell me that my Secondary Air Valves need to be replaced and its a 950$ repair for something that controls emissions.
I haven't had it repaired yet and am considering just taking it to the dealer I got from and trading it in if you guys are having so many follow up issues.
This has been an Arizona car all of its life and has always been filled w/premium.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2006 xt
30 Posts
call subaru of america. print these problems and ask them to look at these similiar problems.

i truely believe these aren't just some isolated issues. i have read other problems similiar, that other 06 owners have had with secondary valves,and pump failures.

tell them these items are failing way to soon and stop trying to pass the buck. these parts should be covered under the 8yr 80,000 mile emissions warranty.

i got lucky because the place i bought it from were stand up type dealership and took care of these problems for me because they where there when they sold me the car.
cost them alot of money. i'm sure they had some nice words to share with subaru.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
That is a total crock of BS to say that is not part of the secondary emission system. Do not stand up for that at all. That system is 100% emission related.

As for trying to remove it, good luck. Because it is an emission related item, it is required that it send the vehicle into limp mode. Not sure if you can bypass the codes w/ an open source tune. If so, that would be an avenue to persue.

System is only on there for cold start emissions (but above a certain temp). Once the vehicle is warm, it won't be running anymore.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts