·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a follow up to the two previous threads for fault code P1410, P2441

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/fault-codes-64766/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/fault-codes-update-65255/

Firstly many thanks to Prof PDF (Don) without whose valuable assistance I would have been stumped.

Having found the two green connectors it was easy to check which of the two vlaves was faulty, fortunately it was the easy one. Removed it and checked the coil winding which was ok and then opened it up. It consists of two parts, a one way flap valve and the solenoid valve. The flap valve was slightly open so dismantled it (as expected the screws sheared holding it in place)and cleaned off the carbon so it sat flat. The main valve I left overnight having given it a good soaking in WD40. The next morning plugged it in, set diagnostic mode and just keep levering gently uner the valve head. Gradually it started moving slightly and then all of a sudden it was clacking like a good one. Reassembled as so far all ok.

One or two people have posted about the air pump being full of water but as the intake for the pump is underneath I can't really see how that could happen.

Max

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,694 Posts
Max,

Glad you found a DIY solution in the end.

Looks as if it could be a regular problem for MY06 on cars (Impreza's seem to have problems as well.

Don.

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
Followed this guide today, exact same problem but with different codes. Love it when you fix some and it costs you nothing. CEL been driving me mad for a while. Cheers :Banane35:

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
Argh its back.

Right. I know both valve work as in diagnostic mode both valves clack.
Started from cold this morning and no sound of pump whirring. Which is strange as yesterday I was took the car to get the code reset and the dealer tested the pump by opening up the relay and bridging/operating it (didn't see how he did it). So I know the pump works. The fuse is still intact.

What tells the system to operate? is it temperature related?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,694 Posts
Followed this guide today, exact same problem but with different codes. Love it when you fix some and it costs you nothing. CEL been driving me mad for a while. Cheers :Banane35:
So which codes did you get???

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,694 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I am aware, and I may be wrong, the valves and pump are controlled direct from the ecu using the the engine temp sensor. The pressure sensor on the lh valve is for the fault codes. It is odd the pump doesn't run , you do realise it isn't tested in the diagnostic mode. Could you feel if the relays are closing if some else starts the engine, all three should close together.

Attached is a pdf I found on an Imprezza forum which give the voltages for the pressure sensor, which may help.

Sometime I was going to try to find two resistors which would simulate the sensor voltages and use a relay, powered by the solenoid supply, to switch between them. Then I could rip the whole stupid lot out.

Would that work Don?

Max

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTE
59 Posts
Cheers for that Don. I'll give the electrical checks a go this week, expect a numpty question or two ;)
Well, so far so good. cleared CEL's before I got into checking resistances of wires and gambled that it would be the secondary pump relay. £8 well spent. cheers to all and hopefully that's the end of that.

For anyone else who has similar problems. the fault code was 2432.
check both valves work - long screwdriver to valve and listen to clack.
remove sec air relay in small box next to main fuses, prise cap off relay and re-insert. Ignition on - press contact on side of relay with a screwdriver, you should here the pump running. however in my case this does not prove the relay works!!!. insert new relay jobs a good un. :woohoo:

oh, and cleaned the MAF with elec cleaner, solved a lumpy and 2.5K stutter. Deserve a beer tonight!

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
As far as I am aware, and I may be wrong, the valves and pump are controlled direct from the ecu using the the engine temp sensor. The pressure sensor on the lh valve is for the fault codes. It is odd the pump doesn't run , you do realise it isn't tested in the diagnostic mode. Could you feel if the relays are closing if some else starts the engine, all three should close together.

Attached is a pdf I found on an Imprezza forum which give the voltages for the pressure sensor, which may help.

Sometime I was going to try to find two resistors which would simulate the sensor voltages and use a relay, powered by the solenoid supply, to switch between them. Then I could rip the whole stupid lot out.

Would that work Don?

Max
IIRC you can remove the codes if you remap the car and then install blockoff plates where the equipment bolts on the car. I've been seeing way too many issues with the SAI system, glad I got an FXT before they started using this system!

·
Registered
2006 XTA
556 Posts
This hasn't happened to mine yet (MY'06 XT) so as insurance I thought to spray lubricant/anti corrosion into the airpump hose occasionally.
I've done this once and seems ok - blew a big cloud out of the pipe and hopefully coated the valves that can stick. However I would not want to gunk up any other parts that won't like it....

·
Registered
2006 Forester
4 Posts
Secondary Intake Valves and Pump

Does anyone have a picture of where the valves and pump are located? I just need to get pointed in the right direction.

I appreciate your assistance.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Forester XT
24 Posts
Secondary Air Valves

I took my Forester (2007 2.5 Turbo w/ 4EAT) to the dealership yesterday for its 60,000 mile servicing. I had a "Check Engine Light" a "Traction Control Light" on, and the "Cruise Control Light" flashing. This was just in the past week. When I picked the car up later that day I was told that it was left and right air valves that were causing the idiot lights to come on. They quoted me just under $700.00 for one and just over $800.00 for the other (not sure which was which). The replacement costs for just one of those valves is almost as much as it cost to have the car serviced (paid a little over $800.00 for the 60,000 mile servicing). Is it just me or is this way too expensive (the air valves and the servicing). Any suggestions? I have looked up this problem on the forum, and it seems to be a regular problem. Any comments or suggestions? Do the newer Legacy 3.6R's have these valves? if not it might be time to trade my Forester in for one. Don't get me wrong, I love my Forester, but it seems like it could get very expensive to keep maintained. Oh and the car is used as a commuter vehicle. It is driven 60 to 75 miles Monday through Friday, and is usually just parked for the weekend. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2007 XR6
3 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of where the valves and pump are located? I just need to get pointed in the right direction.

I appreciate your assistance.
intercooler must be removed.
secondary air valves are located on upper lhr of eng/trans one fairly obvious with large plug & another unit partially buried by inlet manifold both have large black hoses connected from air pump which is located near fuse/relay box I find most failures of these units are on low mileage vehicles as these are similar to the old EGR systems used in earlier vehicles and short start stop trips do not allow enough temp to dry out exhaust systems on short operation & rich cold start conditions causing corrosion, have replaced many you can replace valve under inlet manifold with the right tools & lots of patience! good luck

·
Registered
2007 XR6
3 Posts
I took my Forester (2007 2.5 Turbo w/ 4EAT) to the dealership yesterday for its 60,000 mile servicing. I had a "Check Engine Light" a "Traction Control Light" on, and the "Cruise Control Light" flashing. This was just in the past week. When I picked the car up later that day I was told that it was left and right air valves that were causing the idiot lights to come on. They quoted me just under $700.00 for one and just over $800.00 for the other (not sure which was which). The replacement costs for just one of those valves is almost as much as it cost to have the car serviced (paid a little over $800.00 for the 60,000 mile servicing). Is it just me or is this way too expensive (the air valves and the servicing). Any suggestions? I have looked up this problem on the forum, and it seems to be a regular problem. Any comments or suggestions? Do the newer Legacy 3.6R's have these valves? if not it might be time to trade my Forester in for one. Don't get me wrong, I love my Forester, but it seems like it could get very expensive to keep maintained. Oh and the car is used as a commuter vehicle. It is driven 60 to 75 miles Monday through Friday, and is usually just parked for the weekend. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Thanks
Mike
No Air valves on AUS H6 Liberty & Outbacks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts