Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 04 X with about 20,000 miles on it. I love the car but seat comfort seems to be a weakness. Might be a problem on extended trips. Maybe I'm too much a lard butt, I'm 6'5'' and 230 lbs. I was wondering if anybody has tried swapping seats with a wrecked XS or XT, if they any more comfortable. Or are there any aftermarket seats available. Thanks, Bruce.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum! :)

I agree with you. The seats suck for a road trip. My arse hurt by the time I clock 50 miles. Don't even bother looking for XS or XT seats. Those seats are the same with a different seat cover. I have checked already.

A local I know has swapped 03 WRX seats into his Forester and he loves it. I have sat in it and I like it a lot. Much more support and comfortable than the seats in our Forester. And it bolts right in with no modification. Side airbag wiring harnesses are the same too.

I have been looking for an affordable used set but no luck yet.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I find the seats in our 04 WRX to be very uncomfortable on long trips. My arse goes to sleep after about 1.5hrs of driving. Are the 03 WRX seats different?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
I've done several 10-13 hour road trips in my car, and I can't say that I find the seats uncomfortable at all. Lacking in lateral support, yes, but not downright unsupportive. I think they are a vast improvement over the seats in my old OBS, which caused me back pain after only an hour or two unless I stuffed a pillow behind my back.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
pleiad7 said:
I've done several 10-13 hour road trips in my car, and I can't say that I find the seats uncomfortable at all. Lacking in lateral support, yes, but not downright unsupportive. I think they are a vast improvement over the seats in my old OBS, which caused me back pain after only an hour or two unless I stuffed a pillow behind my back.
+1 Here. We like the seats, doing several 8 hour road trips, and returning in two days. No back aches, no soreness, very comfy for that. Yes, skinny butts slide a little bit before finding a bolster to hit.

I guess the moral is you can't build a seat which suits everyone.

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
The stock seats are not bad, but need refinement for non-standard bodies. Bruce, try tinkering with the seat's ergonomics.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
The adjustable lumabar support is a nice feature also..

Just remember to take your wallet out on long driving trips!!

(was in the car for about 3 hours straight.. forgot to take my wallet out.. = one heck of a sore ar$e

·
Registered
3 Posts
02-03 wrx seats are more comfortable for most people.. 04-05 wrx are one piece are that are very similar to STi seats... it's for bigger and wider people in my opinion... 06 returns with 2 piece seats and looks to be similar to the 02-03 wrx seats.. i have 03 WRX seats in mine.. no back pain at all.. also swapped in the heated seat pads... 06 seats have heated pads already

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a bad back and need a seat that has a lot of adjustability if I am to find a position that works. The stock 04 FXT manual seat put me in big pain after an hour, and could not be adjusted much. I need to be able to adjust the seat bench so that it is horizontal instead of sloping to the back. I tried driving an 05 XT with the power seats, but it still didn't have the right range of adjustment.

Subaru power seats in Outbacks work just fine for me, so I transplanted one from a salvaged 2000. It bolted right in with little hassle (most post-1994 Subaru seats use the same bolt pattern to attach to the floor). It doesn't have much lateral support, though, and is about 2 inches lower than the stock seat.

It doesn't have the side airbag, but at least I can use the car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Retserof said:
and is about 2 inches lower than the stock seat.
that's awesome... one of my big beefs is that the XT's seats even at full low and steering wheel tilted all the way up is still too close... my knees touch the steering wheel... :rolleyes:

one day i'll just buy some STi seats for this bad boy...

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,932 Posts
Retserof said:
Subaru power seats in Outbacks work just fine for me, so I transplanted one from a salvaged 2000. It bolted right in with little hassle (most post-1994 Subaru seats use the same bolt pattern to attach to the floor). It doesn't have much lateral support, though, and is about 2 inches lower than the stock seat
Interesting very interesting hmmm ......

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
I test drove a MY04 WRX and found the seats to be very uncomfortable even after a short drive. I did this straight after a test drive in the XT and it was a huge difference. The WRX seat was a "wrap-around" and it just wasnt wide enough for my shoulders and I felt like Id was being squished. Noticed it pretty much straight away and within 20 mins I was feeling sore.
I dont have a huge problem with the XT seats, yes they could offer my lateral support when cornering but they are a reasonable match to my shape.
Then again Im 5-9 and about 265lbs

·
Registered
398 Posts
dicknose said:
I test drove a MY04 WRX and found the seats to be very uncomfortable even after a short drive. I did this straight after a test drive in the XT and it was a huge difference. The WRX seat was a "wrap-around" and it just wasnt wide enough for my shoulders and I felt like Id was being squished. Noticed it pretty much straight away and within 20 mins I was feeling sore.
I dont have a huge problem with the XT seats, yes they could offer my lateral support when cornering but they are a reasonable match to my shape.
Then again Im 5-9 and about 265lbs
yeah, but you haven't even tried the USDM WRX seats... you would fit in them, but they hurt horribly after 2 hours... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts