Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smooth (Andy) swung by today with a pair of 06 WRX seats he scored off craigslist for cheap. He needed some help swapping the heaters and getting them to fit without having any airbag issues, so we started bright and early at 9am this morning.

For the driver seat:
This one was easy. All we did was install the seat heaters, then put the seat in the car and plugged everything in. We turned on the car and the airbag light turned off and all was well! I know some people have had airbag light issues, but for us the 06 WRX airbag was perfectly compatible with Andy's 07 XT.

Passenger seat:

For the passenger seat, it was a little more involved, but still pretty straight forward. With everything working good with the driver seat, we removed the XT passenger seat, set the WRX seat in place and plugged it in. When we turned car on, the airbag light stayed on, and the passenger detection system did not work.

To solve this issue, we installed the WRX bottom cushion on to the XT bottom frame, them bolted the WRX seat back to it. I then installed the heaters, and we put the seat back in. With everything plugged in we turned the car on and everything worked perfect! The airbag light turned off, and the passenger detection system turned the airbag on and off as I got in and out. (Special thanks to Toddlamp for having done this earlier!) This was with using the WRX airbag too!

Doing the passenger seat like this also makes them very wife/Girlfriend friendly. The Forester base sits about 2" higher than the WRX one does, so you don't get complaints if your women is short. Also since the Forester base does not have the side bolster bars like the WRX one does, using the Forester base makes it easier to get in and out of the car. You don't have the solid metal bars to smack into.

Total time to pull seats, swap seat heaters, make a hybrid passenger seat and install everything was 3 hours on the dot. I like the mods that go smoothly and work out in the end!

No pix were taken, but I'm sure Andy with post them up after he gets back to PDX! The black and gray 2 tone of them is a PERFECT match for the XT interior, and the 07 XT rear seat has a similar enough tblack/gray color scene that it looks just fine with the fronts.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
nice! i still want one piece seats.. though have you ever looked into swapping the power controls onto the one piece seats?

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look and it is impossible to get the power recline the work. It is all kind of welded into both parts of the seat. I have considered trying to use the power base for the height adjustment and in/out control, and using the regular pull lever to work the recline on the 1 piece seat back. The trim piece would be tough to get to fit right though.

The non-power seat height adjustment is very limited when compared to the adjustment options offered by the power seat base. I do miss being able to fine tune the front and rear height of the base, and the angle at which you sit.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I took a look and it is impossible to get the power recline the work. It is all kind of welded into both parts of the seat. I have considered trying to use the power base for the height adjustment and in/out control, and using the regular pull lever to work the recline on the 1 piece seat back. The trim piece would be tough to get to fit right though.

The non-power seat height adjustment is very limited when compared to the adjustment options offered by the power seat base. I do miss being able to fine tune the front and rear height of the base, and the angle at which you sit.
thanks for the info. guess i'll be stick with my stock seats for a long long time then

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very jealous :(

i've temporarily given up. im wondering if my whole problem is the passenger detection system as well, even though i swapped it over.
After reading about your issues I decided to not mess with trying to swap over the oc3 system and just leave it how it came from the factory on the Forester base. It seems to have worked!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
After reading about your issues I decided to not mess with trying to swap over the oc3 system and just leave it how it came from the factory on the Forester base. It seems to have worked!
im thinking i should have tried that but i dont think it was an option because my drivers seat is power so id have mis matched seat bases. happy yours went well, im still troubleshooting mine, and im starting to get the weird feeling that its the occupant sensor and not the missing plug. im gonna get some resistors to see if im right.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
COngrats.You are going to become the seat swap GURU!!!

joe r

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,504 Posts
Hooray! Pics below. I enjoyed the seats on my drive home from Seattle, the bolstering is great and the one-piece design is just a lot more comfortable IMO; there is no headrest to lean forward at a weird angle. There is quite a bit more height adjustment than the FXT seats, at the highest setting it's similar to stock but you can get down pretty low as well. The seats match the Sport interior perfectly. The best part is that I got them for a ridiculously low $200 on craigslist from a 17 year old CRX owner who bought them from his buddy a while back before realizing they wouldn't fit in his car, and they're pretty much mint.

In terms of the swap first I have to give a HUGE thanks to sea-scooby. Even though this swap was relatively simple compared to some, there are just a lot of little things about Subaru seats that would have taken me forever to figure out that he already knew.
With two people working on it (I just did the easy stuff :wink:) everything went quite well and relatively quickly. His time and experience were invaluable, thanks Chris! :Banane35:

As he mentioned the seat heaters were swapped over (the most time consuming part, but well worth it) and we used the Forester passenger seat base to retain the passenger detection system. Otherwise it was a very straightforward swap, the side airbag systems including the plugs are the same. The only other thing that didn't quite match up are the trim pieces that cover the bolts at the rear of the tracks, they look similar but the Forester pieces did not fit on the driver's side WRX tracks.

One thing he didn't mention is that the seatbelt buckles are not the same (along with the plugs for the seatbelt light/chime, but who cares)... we had installed the driver's seat and gotten everything working... I had just finished bolting it down when he asked "did you check the seatbelt"? Tried it and D'OH!! The seat had to come out again. :lol: It wouldn't be a mod if it went perfectly! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
829 Posts
looks great. i had the same issue with the bolt covers, trying to figure out a solution because im picky. the color scheme is very nice, something ill consider when i re-do my blue wrx seats. also noticed the same thing about height adjustment. i just kept pumping the lever (lol) and it wouldn't stop rising (lol). easily double the height adjustment of the stock fxt seat.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Ooo those are the exact same seats I've been looking at down here in socal. But not for $200 :(

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing I tried since we had the seats apart was a Forester seat bottom cushion on the WRX base. I cut channels into the foam where the side bolster bars are, and slide the cushion into place. It definitely added a lot more support to the seat, and might be an option for someone who wants a more supportive seat, but doesn't want to spend several hundred bucks for new seats.

WRX seat bases are actually pretty easy to find. A lot of people part out 04-07 WRX/STi and to them seats with blown out airbags are pretty tough to get rid of so they sell them cheap. You can get a WRX driverseat base for $50-$100.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
I really like the 2 tone.I think I might post up on nasioc to see if some one wants all black seats.

Great job!

joe r

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,219 Posts
Doing the passenger seat like this also makes them very wife/Girlfriend friendly. The Forester base sits about 2" higher than the WRX one does, so you don't get complaints if your women is short. Also since the Forester base does not have the side bolster bars like the WRX one does, using the Forester base makes it easier to get in and out of the car. You don't have the solid metal bars to smack into.
Yeah, that is a good point!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the 2 tone.I think I might post up on nasioc to see if some one wants all black seats.

Great job!

joe r
You should see it in person. The two tone is SICK! The only two people I know with it are both in the PDX area too.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Todd,

Have you mess with WRX TR seats? I'm thinking the base part is identical to the non-TR seats but i'm not sure. If they are, it would give the 1 piece seat guys a cheaper source for seat cloth if they damage/stain the bottom cushion or wear out the foam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts