Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring paddled CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my desired color/options are not available within 100 miles. I've never done more of a search than this so would appreciate advice from those in the know. I'm wondering about the best way to go about expanding the search outward. Should I just search the internet and deal direct via phone or can I/should I have a local Subaru dealer salesman search for me? I assume if a local salesman did it, he would be arranging a vehicle swap with the remote dealer? I would assume I wouldn't get much of a price break if it was a swap?

If I deal directly, is the best course to negotiate a price on the phone first and then travel to inspect and finalize the deal? Or?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting into specifics like color, trim, options, accessories, etc. will always be more expensive than grabbing one the dealer has in stock. If you can wait get quotes on buyer orders from all the dealers within your driving distance. Mention the best quote you have so far and see if another dealer can go lower. When you have a price you are comfortable with order your car. I did mine over emails and phone calls. BUT make sure you test drive first at dealer before all of the above. Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
101 Posts
Here are my tips - start here. Subaru Research & Invoice Pricing - CarPrices.com
Figure out what you want on the car so you know what package number you want. Choose your trim, color, and package.

Then, depending on how much time you want to invest, email dealers telling them you want Forester in XXX trim, XXX exterior color with package(s) XXX.
Doing it this way will be a good baseline. The car will usually have accessories in addition to the package(s) that you want, but if the dealer has the car in stock, they can give a price.

Keep every dealer you contact down in a spreadsheet so you can keep track of things. Doing this allowed me to see which dealers were above invoice as well as who had the best offer.

Email the internet sales department or sales manager. Working out the price online will save you significant time than showing up in person/phone. Run quotes from major city areas - more competition means lower price in my experience. However, you really should try to find volume dealers that move more units - they tend to offer significant discounts over small dealers.

My experience shows that I got a hit rate of about 65% on getting prices through email. Everything else was either ignored or "show up in person."

Dealer swaps will be more expensive - avoid those since you pay for shipping indirectly in the price.

If buying across state lines, be cognizant of doc fees. High doc fees kill any savings you gain on the car. Doc fees can be capped by state.

Time is on your side toward the end of the month as dealers may be eager to move units.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring paddled CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, I'm all set. With the aid of Google Search, I was able to find the color/options I wanted two hours south of here and negotiated the sale over the phone. I had some dealers simultaneously doing an exchange search and it subsequently appears that the car I found is the only one of that configuration within 100+ miles.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
40 Posts
Our dealer did a swap with a dealer in Seattle to get the combination we wanted. It took 3 days, but it is 450 miles away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts