Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note regarding the factory rear sub:

Today I decided the factory rear woofer that Subaru puts in the Forester sounded just plain wrong. I've been playing this back and forth in my head for a few weeks now and finally worked up the nerve to delve into the rear panels. I'm a big time audiophile so I just couldn't take it any longer. :icon_eek:

What I found:
A 6x9 paper woofer screwed into a sheet of metal bleeding air out of every direction. After removing the speaker I then noticed the bottom of this "factory speaker chamber" was constructed out of a piece of white packing foam with strip foam around the parameter to "seal" the bottom of the chamber. This piece of foam had, at some point over the past 6 six years, vibrated it's way to more of an non-horizontal/up-right position and was rendered absolutely and completely useless... :cool:

My Thinking:
Woofers and Subwoofers alike rely, for the most part, heavily on a sealed compartment to reproduce low natural sounding bass. This keep the interior wave from colliding with the exterior wave. (except for special acoustically ported or bandpass setups) But I'm a firm believer in a sealed box to reproduce the most natural sound. Therefore I went about trying to seal up the factory forester's rear woofer compartment.

What I did:
After repositioning the bottom-foam-thingamajig, I took some high-density gaffing tape and took my time to completely seal around the bottom edges. Upon further inspection I also noticed the wire to the speaker was, for lack of a better term, "crimped" utilizing the metal sheet that the woofer was screwed into - thus leaving a rather large random hole right next to the speaker. I took a piece of tape and covered that up without a second guess. I kept probing and taping until I was happy and content. I even threw some on the back of the chamber to cut down on vibration a tiny bit.

Results:
The results were a much stronger bass note that went a bit deeper according to my ears and butt. Seeing as how I didn't increase the power to the woofer it's still no SPL setup and will max out around stock volume level 20-25 with Bass setting +3. (And I in no way completely sealed the entire chamber but did put a big dent in it) So at the end of the day normal listening levels are quite a bit better, in my opinion, and I got rid of the pesky vibrating noise I had on that side of the car every time the woofer would hit. I believe it was due to the bottom of the chamber being open and pushing air through the black plastic flap system Subaru put right under the woofer for cabin pressurization.

Summary:
Happy camper! And because I already had the tape - it cost me $0.00.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I would have had a battery charged to grab some pics while I was in the process. I'm far too terrified of those plastic snaps to take it all back apart. Let me work up the nerve and maybe i can grab some this weekend.

After driving around with this for a few days it's almost annoying how loud the bass is now at +2 or +3 levels. I've had to turn it down to +0 or -1 to keep it comfortable during normal listening. I can definitely turn it up and rattle the car though, but it wont hit anything lower then 100hz or so. It's definitely not a speaker designed for low hz reproduction by any means. but for free you really can't beat making it a little more efficient i guess.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Sealing that area up does help a great deal. It is pathetic what they have back there stock.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Good tip. My 04's probably shook loose. When inspecting my exhaust with my stereo on, I've hear a lot of odd rattles back there. Some gaffing tape and possibly some silicone safe for sub enclosures might also be a good idea. Some songs I get some base, otherse it's just ok.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sealing that area up does help a great deal. It is pathetic what they have back there stock.
More than pathetic if you ask me. In researching what i did i came across your sub enclosure kit and have almost talked myself into that. I just dont like the idea of wiring up an amp and all that jazz. I did that when i was in high school and have long since moved on. I can DEFINITELY see the advantage of having a sealed box back there though!

Good tip. My 04's probably shook loose. When inspecting my exhaust with my stereo on, I've hear a lot of odd rattles back there. Some gaffing tape and possibly some silicone safe for sub enclosures might also be a good idea. Some songs I get some base, otherse it's just ok.
Silicone would probably help out as well, but there are just so many holes you can't get to i didn't feel like spending any money on it. :biggrin: Definitely a task worth tackling if you want better bass efficiency out of the stock speaker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts