Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to share their experience using Seafoam cleaner? I've got a MY01 that I am refurbishing, and I want to see how people's experiences with this cleaner has been. This is a 107K engine, so it certainly could use some good cleaning, and I don't want to rip the whole thing apart.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Anyone want to share their experience using Seafoam cleaner? I've got a MY01 that I am refurbishing, and I want to see how people's experiences with this cleaner has been. This is a 107K engine, so it certainly could use some good cleaning, and I don't want to rip the whole thing apart.
Funny enough, my mech buddies say not to touch that stuff, they recommend ATF if you do try and do something like that.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I put Seafoam trans cleaner in my 04 to try to loosen up a stuck transfer solenoid, and it worked. Then I had the fluid changed (required after running flush through) and now I need a new trans. Be careful cleaning an old engine. You will find oil leaks and blowby you didn't know you had.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy white exhaust smoke!

Thanks for the warnings! I guess the old phrase is true: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
It's funny I was just saying that to the wife. I want to do a swap in my car, but it runs too good. 150k miles and strong as ever. I have to remind myself sometimes not to go looking for problems.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I've used Seafoam gasoline additive all along with no issues on my work vehicle and the UOA is fine after 175,000 miles. Adding any cleaner after accumulating lots of internal gunk could be a problem however.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I put Seafoam trans cleaner in my 04 to try to loosen up a stuck transfer solenoid, and it worked. Then I had the fluid changed (required after running flush through) and now I need a new trans. Be careful cleaning an old engine. You will find oil leaks and blowby you didn't know you had.
Thanks for the warnings! I guess the old phrase is true: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yeah I forgot to mention that my Saab had no HG when I bought it, then I tried Seafoam in the crankcase and it sprung multiple HG leaks. This stuff luckily fixed it: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/KNW-401232.jpg

I've used Seafoam gasoline additive all along with no issues on my work vehicle and the UOA is fine after 175,000 miles. Adding any cleaner after accumulating lots of internal gunk could be a problem however.
As a gasoline additive it is fine, but I use Chemtool's B12, superior cleaner for gasoline additive, and only 3 bucks: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...de-than-premium-7040112_bry_0116_pri_larg.jpg

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Ive used Seafoam before in other vehicles and it works good at cleaning out carbon build up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Funny enough, my mech buddies say not to touch that stuff, they recommend ATF if you do try and do something like that.
Add me to that list of people who will say atf. Little hard on the cats now days but :shrug:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
218 Posts
Marvels Mystery Oil...which isn't really that much of a mystery as a it contains light naphtha oil but it cleans very well and is safe.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Seafoam is great through the intake. Its basically the same as any other upper engine cleaner or ATF. I however do not ever use any oil or fuel additives (aside from techron).

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
130 Posts
Marvels Mystery Oil...which isn't really that much of a mystery as a it contains light naphtha oil but it cleans very well and is safe.
I prefer this but that's all on FWD SR20s.

Seafoam should not be run through the catalyst. It would be a problem on most FXTs I guess.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Add me to that list of people who will say atf. Little hard on the cats now days but :shrug:
I think in the end we all do what we want and there really isn't alot of objectiveness behind it. I personally buy what's cheap (B12 usually for gas) and effective, ATF seems to be popular among mechs but yes it is hard on the catcons, but whatev lol.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!

I really do appreciate all of the different opinions and product suggestions. I'm going to do some work on the "Green Monster" (yes, I am a Red Sox fan) tomorrow and will post product purchase and results...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts