Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XT Touring 5sp Manual
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'd like do perform this on my gf's Forester. One of the valves was gunked up so badly that we had to replace the entire head (we bought it used).

Has anyone ever done this via the Deep Creep spray or the Seafoam Spray. I just ran a can through the fuel tank to excellent results.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer for a good top engine clean methodology.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
I haven't gotten to use the spray yet however, I have used SeaFoam for years and love it for older cars and lawn equipment. I say go for it!

·
Registered
2016 XT Touring 5sp Manual
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Yeah I'm just looking for someone who's done it before--I've read about a half dozen different ways to do it....

G

·
There's a huge thread on this. Best way, and the only way to get even distribution to all cylinders, IMO, is straight through the front of the throttle body. Remove the intake system and unplug the MAF sensor, start it up (it will run rough because it's in limp mode from unplugging the MAF), and SLOWLY pour the SeaFoam into the throttle body, then shut off the car, reinstall everything, wait 30 minutes or so, and take it for a spirited drive until it stops creating a smoke screen. :biggrin:

The spray is much easier to use, just pull the trigger constantly, but placement is the same through the throttle body. Doing it through the throttle body also has the benefit of cleaning around the butterfly valve.

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
I've used it on a friend's 01 Ranger that was running rough. Definitely picked up the power and mileage afterwards. Just followed the directions in the can and put it in the intake.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Touring Hatchback, CVT
366 Posts
I’ve never done Seafoam in any of my vehicles but just picked up 2 cans. One is the liquid that I was going to put in the gas tank, the other is the aerosol can with that bendy straw. I’ll be going on a road trip tomorrow so was going to dump a can of it in the tank before I leave and will use about ¾ of a tank before I get to my destination. Once I get there I was going to do the aerosol can in the throttle body. Is it safe to do that when there is still a bit in the gas tank or will it be Seafoam overload?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
No overload, you will be fine..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ran the stuff in the tank and it seems to run a little smoother now. Then did the stuff through the throttle body. Not nearly as much smoke as some of the other videos I've seen though.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
That usually means it is pretty clean.. I have had smoke that the neighbors must have thought the car was on fire lol.. Especially when I took it out on the road to let it blow out that way.. Looked like I had a James Bond Car

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
Damn, my car isn't running rough but it sure does make me want to run out and buy some. I wonder if it would have any benefits for my 102K fozz

·
Registered
366 Posts
Damn, my car isn't running rough but it sure does make me want to run out and buy some. I wonder if it would have any benefits for my 102K fozz
My car has 155,000 km (~ 93,000 miles) and it seems to run smoother now.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Never used the stuff and all my vehicles run smoothe at well over 100K miles. I seriously doubt its necessary, but who knows. Now I do have to admit...I get on kicks that I add Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank once and a while.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
Just what is that suppose to do besides waste money and thicken your oil???

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Never used the stuff and all my vehicles run smoothe at well over 100K miles. I seriously doubt its necessary, but who knows. Now I do have to admit...I get on kicks that I add Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank once and a while.
The smoke is worth it. At least, if your car actually smokes a bunch (mine didn't).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Just what is that suppose to do besides waste money and thicken your oil???
I don't add it to the oil I add it to the gas (like seafoam) Its really just another aromatic hydrocarbon with lots of solvents (like seafoam) It does improve gas mileage (while its in there)...but overall its probably a waste of money.

·
Registered
14 Outback 25 Premium 4EAT
120 Posts
Off topic: Marvel Mystery Oil works great for air tools. (never put it in an engine.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts