Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

screw/rivet for oil filter access panel

('03-'05) 
10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  camdecoster 
#1 ·
I let the dealer change my oil in January (part of 30k maintenance).

Now I notice that one of the screws/rivets holding up the access panel for the oil filter and drain plug is missing. Urrg. :-(

Anyone know if these are these available separately?

Richard

#2 ·
You mean the two-part plastic clips with the X slots? Part number is 909130067. Buy a few, as they tend to break or disappear. I'm running on about 4-1/2 out of 6 now.

The bad news for you is that, unless they've restocked, I bought out the meager remaining supply at Russel's on Rt 40 and at Herb Gordon in Silver Spring a while ago!

Maybe our friend at Annapolis Subaru has some in stock.

#4 ·
bbottomley said:
The bad news for you is that, unless they've restocked, I bought out the meager remaining supply at Russel's on Rt 40 and at Herb Gordon in Silver Spring a while ago!
That would explain why Russel Subaru didn't simply put in a new one!

I'll check the online stores. Thanks for the part number.

Richard

G
#5 ·
I change my own oil and oil filter. I found it such a PITA to refasten those fasteners that I threw away the access panel. Its not needed anyway. In fact that whole plastic undershroud under the front part of the engine compartment isn't really needed. You don't find that on most cars and it used to be that no cars had one.

#6 ·
rchang said:

Now I notice that one of the screws/rivets holding up the access panel for the oil filter and drain plug is missing. Urrg. :-(

Richard
Why not take it back to the dealer and tell them they left them out......seems like it would be in their best interest to take care of it.

#8 ·
rchang said:

Richard
That's weird and funny you should mention that. I took my car into a subaru dealership one time and later on I noticed that one of mine was missing. Maybe it is policy to take one each time you go in:spinnasmiley

Just one more reason to do your own work and never take the car to a "Stealership", literally.

#9 ·
I had JudyRu's 98 on jack stands this past weekend and noticed the her whole bottom panel was only being held in place by one bolt and two plastic clips. Three bolts are missing. The panel is now on my work bench waiting for three new bolts. Our Subaru dealer was the last person to work on the car, they recently replaced a worn out CV boot. Maybe I should start doing these again. I hated doing CV's on our old V-dubs.

#10 ·
lakepop said:
Why not take it back to the dealer and tell them they left them out......seems like it would be in their best interest to take care of it.
Because it's been 2 1/2 months since the work was done. I don't really *know* that the dealer lost the clip. Plus if bbottomley is right, they don't have any more clips, so the most I can get out of them is "come back later".

I just ordered 6 of these clips from subaruparts.com for 0.64 apiece. For 6, they only charge $1.99 shipping. So, the total with shipping is still under $6. That's better than the list price of $1 each. I checked the shipping charges for 7 clips and it jumped from $1.99 to over $8. So, if you really wanted more than 6, you are better off putting in separate orders!

Oh, the clips are back-ordered on subaruparts.com, but I'm not in any hurry.

Richard

#11 ·
Those clips came in the mail today. It was definitely the right part number. I took out all of the clips and some of them had plastic parts broken off. So, perhaps I wrongfully maligned the dealership and the clip just fell off by itself.

BUT, oil was leaking from the oil filter and it doesn't even look like the right filter! I'm going to start a new thread on this one... Who do they have changing the oil???

I hate letting other people change my oil.

-R.

#12 ·
The clips do tend to break or otherwise walk away. That's why I tried to keep a supply of extras in stock, but I've gone through all of them by now and am down to about 4-1/2 still in operation. You can't malign the dealer for missing or broken clips, but the leak and the possibly wrong filter are another matter entirely.

Why was it that you let other people change your oil?

#15 ·
wow.. i was reading and didnt notice that.. except the links were pointing to an access hatch that didnt look like the one on my '17 LOL

Also - you can buy similar clips/push pins at Lowes/Home Depot in the hardware section.. I dont like how these have to unscrew that 1/4 turn, i may convert mine to something different

Brian

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.