Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MY07 Forester
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got some ideas on how to remove scratches on the interior plastic that lines the sides of the cargo area? It seems very vulnerable to gouging and scratching if something rolls around back there. I've tried some wet and dry paper and it takes the edges off, but tends to discolour the plastic.:icon_mad:

·
Registered
MY07 Forester
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I wish they made the plastic more resistant to scratches - it seems so soft:icon_frown:. Anyways, I've never tried this procedure before but will try it out today. The guy on the link also filled the scratches with crayon matching the interior plastic colour. I'm going to try the heat first. Thanks.

·
Registered
MY07 Forester
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used the method today on some scratches and gouges on the cargo area plastic. I first used a hairdryer because I didn't want to melt or burn the plastic but found that it does not produce enough heat to get the plastic at the right temp. So I turned to the heat gun on about 50% power. This worked great on the minor plastic grazes and scratches.

The idea is to get the plastic hot enough that it become slighly fluid. It tends to fill in the scratches by itself and certainly makes them almost unnoticeable. This procedure is not a miracle cure for all scratches, it works best on "graze type" damage. The only downside is that is does produce a smoother area over the scratch as opposed to the textured pattern, but it looks much better than those ugly scratches which are now gone. Thanks for the tip! :banana:

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Sounds promising. I've got a bunch of those marks. Can you post some before & after pics (or the "after" at least)?

-- Steve

·
Registered
MY07 Forester
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures of a scratch and the subsequent repair using this method. The initial scratch was not severe but I'm pretty fussy and was annoyed after failing to securely tie down a load up back - the result was lots of these scratches... :icon_sad:

1. Step 1 I lightly sanded the area with 1200 wet and dry paper using silicone spray as a lubricant. Don't overdo this as you will dull the color of the plastic. It is mainly to remove rough edges.
2. Step 2 Apply heat from heat gun on about 50% power setting. Watch the area closely and you will see it begin to change - the scratch will begin to blend in as the surface turns slightly smooth under heat. Do not burn the plastic.
3. Step 3 Finish with very light sanding using 2000 grit and complete the step with a dash/trim finisher such as Armor All.

The result is not perfect but a very reasonable way to make those ugly and annoying grazes and scratches far less noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
i've got some ugly knick marks that are almost whitish on my black hard dashtop in my SG. the top pod housing is a beach to remove, carefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts