Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Turbo
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers and front passenger door glass is starting to get badly scratched, this must be from fine sand particles between the glass and the outer trim at the top of the doors, how do I get to this to clean it out? I know the scratches are pretty much incurable but I would like to stop it getting any worse.

Thanks in advance. :Banane35:

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
I suffer this issue too. I think it comes from motor away spray build up on the windows. My solution is to squeedgy off the worst when I can using a plant mister with 50/50 screen wash as this also helps general vision but occasionally I slide a lolly stick down the lip and run it back and forth whilst applying clean running water. This cleans the seal nicely. Leave to dry and you're done.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Does that get rid of the minute chips you get on the screen also?

·
Registered
2018 Not saying.lol forwards and backwards
1,223 Posts
Rayon pads with a da or rotary polisher for larger areas. You can also get the small pads that can be used with power drills for smaller areas.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayon-Polishing-Felt-Velour-125mm/dp/B005HOLD9Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1384535265&sr=8-6&keywords=glass+polishing+pads[/ame]

and ceriglass
CarPro Ceri Glass Polish - Clean Your Car

Glass requires quite a bit more pressure than paint, and a faster speed. When the polish starts to dry a bit, spray some water on it, ceriglass has a real long work time, you just keep adding water to it.

Make sure you tape up the window rubbers though, it's almost impossible to get off.

·
Registered
MY07 Forester 2.0X, 2.5XT 5M, 4EAT
335 Posts
I've been there http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/windscreen-scratch-89674/ - it was quite nasty and would have failed NCT...tested elbow grease, various polishing compounds, cordless drills, pads, the works- useless...so did a bit of research and found local agent for this crowd
job done in 15min and also removed a few other marks (wee nicks/chips)- good as new and still with original screen...it does work...you have them in UK lads http://www.glaswelduk.com/

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
I just wonder if it's worth just getting a new screen? Mines done nearly 40k now and has gazillions of tiny chips that make looking through it like a starry night when driving into the sun.

·
Registered
MY07 Forester 2.0X, 2.5XT 5M, 4EAT
335 Posts
it did what they claim on mine- quite nasty wiper mark in "A zone" (would be an NCT fail) and a few "chips without spider cracks" if you know what I mean...the down side was that had to wash the car because despite the best effort to mask it was quite covered with white spots- one can live with that!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Turbo
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, gonna try that lolly stick dodge, if I can stop the scratching then I will try the scratch removal stuff, but no point if it's going to keep happening.
The Foz is in semi retirement for the forseable, time to give it a thorough clean up inside and out and deal with those little jobs that never get done on a daily driver.

·
Registered
98 sf - gls manual
1,119 Posts
i have one local to me, gonna give him a try on my yank motor, some body [edited by me grrr] scratched it for fun or jelousy.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
If you want to get the sand out use compressed air and a bicycle tire plastic replacement tool to pry the rubber trim back enough to get some air

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,966 Posts
There are felt-like pads that the window rides against- these can be cleaned (or better yet be replaced). It will keep the scratches from getting any worse.

Numbers 9 and 10 in this illustration:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s10/type_3/body/front_door_panel/illustration_2/

It's all very fine polishing out the scratches but as posted above unless you replace the felt pad stabilizers they will reappear pretty quickly.

This was/is a well known problem with the classic impreza

removing side window scratches - ScoobyNet

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Turbo
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fantastic replies guys, my old Impreza was really bad for this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts