Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Went to Swinley Forest last Saturday to cycle with my boy, unlocked roof mounted bike rack, GOT DISTRACTED, mountainbike drops onto the roof and leaves a swirl-pattern/s-shape scratch and upon closer inspection actually is a dent. :icon_frown:
How do I get this repaired? Proper body-shop or mobile dent-a-fix capable?

As always any advice much appreciated.

Cheers!

Marc

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,546 Posts

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Just for reference it only has a chance of "polishish out" providing the top lacquer layer hasn't been breached.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
If the dent is still entirely 'with paint' there is a risk of that paint cracking once the metal has been contracted back to shape.

If it's on the roof, can't you just leave it..?

personally I would prep, fill, sand and spray as it's not a panel you get to see much. prob the cheapest option. Even DIY potential if you can get a good match...

mike

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies :)
I might contact a similar technician as was suggested, but someone closer as Im in the SWest.
Yes it broke through the clear coat:icon_frown:
And I can't stand seeing it everytime I get near the car--I love my car dearly and wash/dry it every two weeks--it's hard to ignore the damage.
Anyway, I'll post an update and a before and after photo.
Cheers!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Indeed, ask an expert IMO when it comes to body repairs... if it's not done well it stands out like a sore thumb.

Most bodyshops will be able to tell you what options you have open - they will also know all the tips and tricks! The reputable ones will also be happy to do an invisible repair if that's all that's needed.

·
Registered
1994 MY04 XT Luxury
150 Posts
When I reversed into a bollard I left myself with a compressed and scratched bumper and over a week the paint started to flake off.
Got one of those at-home scratch and dent guys, who did a great job for A$330.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
scratch-n-dent guys, they rock! my dad uses a 'detailer' near bath/Bristol/Frome way if that's any good Trakito..? Let me know and I'll ping you his number - he's reeeeal good. and only slightly obsessive :)

mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts