Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info of the 17" Scion TC wheels that are so readily avilable on the market? I think they're heavier than XTs but the same style.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I see them on ebay all the time, and they are listed that they fit subaru's fine

Apparently I was unable to find an online auction as of right now...

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I tried a set on my '02 WRX. The hub size of the WRX was bigger than the hole on the Scion, so they would NOT fit on the WRX. Someone else put them on a brake lathe and shaved the rims to make the hole bigger. Not sure what size the hub is on the Forester is though

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
You'll run into the same problem. The centerbore on the wheels is NOT subaru friendly.

There's some guy who is selling Scion TC wheels for around $700 a set on ebay, pre-drilled to the right centerbore. However, I think that's a pretty steep price....

they are nice wheels and all, but I'm not sure it'd trust a shop to do a precision enlargement of the hole to within the proper tolerances. No idea what that would do to the structure of the wheel either (from a stregnth/safety standpoint)

it's a real shame it's not the other way around. If the bore was too big, a centering ring would do the trick.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
they are nice wheels and all, but I'm not sure it'd trust a shop to do a precision enlargement of the hole to within the proper tolerances. No idea what that would do to the structure of the wheel either (from a stregnth/safety standpoint)
The wheels can be bored to our centerbore dimension within accuracy. For this type of fitment the wheels would need to be no more than +.005" larger than the oem hub diameter. The structural integrity of the wheel should not be affected. It would actually be easier to fit the wheels on a CNC mill and mill the bore than it would to fit them on a lathe unless said lathe has the capacity to fit something of this diameter. You also have to look at the expense. An average machine shop is going to charge anywhere from $30-$60 an hour and I would calculate at least 3 hours to setup and machine the wheels on a CNC mill. A lathe would take even longer unless the shop already has fixturing made. At least with a mill all that has to be done is clamping it to the table and indicating the bore of the wheel. Then a simple program can be made to mill the centerbore. Just my input on the matter.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shame, leave them to the Prius guys...found a nice new set for cheap w/ tires also...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts