Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching Subaru's success for my college business management class because of their customer loyalty. I am trying to find website that really go deep into this. It is remarkable that they are posting record sales in today's economy. Obviously, we all know why. They make great cars that allow us to go anywhere. I am looking for an in depth analysis of why though. Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S w/AT
442 Posts
Honestly, its like most things in business. You have to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right product. Gas got really expensive, cash for clunkers, and people started to leave their SUV's for smaller cars. For those that wanted to go "heartier" they went to "crossovers."

I think it also bears notice that Subaru has consistantly advertised on NPR and PBS. Its useful demographic information, given what Subarus are and who NPR and PBS patrons typically are. You might want to check in on who that demographic is and why Subaru targets them. (This is mostly because I'm listening to NPR right now and I always see Subaru commercials on Antiques Roadshow)

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,195 Posts
Build a high quality product, with good gas mileage, make by a reputable company, at a very affordable price, best AWD system, foreign made (perception of foreign products being better)..It ain't brain surgury. But I realize that you need more info.

Oh yea and peeps that buy one go back for another one.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,767 Posts

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
they also were open to marketing to the LGBT community early on, and I'm sure that hasn't hurt their bottom line, lesboru.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Take a look at this book, a fly-on-the-wall chronology of a failed Subaru ad campaign, but which really says a lot more than just that. Used at Amazon for as little as $2.88.

Amazon.com: Where the Suckers Moon: The Life and Death of an Advertising Campaign (9780679740421): Randall Rothenberg: Books

(And thank me for slogging through 28 pages of Amazon listings to find it. All I could remember was that it had a weird title. It was a good read on many levels.)
^^ Great book, very insightful as far as SOA's founding years and early corporate history are concerned.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I asked the 6 people I know who bought new Subarus in the past year why they chose a Subaru, and one of the biggest reason I heard had to do with crash safetly. 4 of the people previously had LARGE SUVs, and never considered anything small because they always thought smaller meant "unsafe". After seeing gas prices skyrocket, and then the ecomony go in the crapper, monster SUVs didn't make sense. Subaru was one of the few car companies that make vehicles that could handle incliment weather as good if not better than a regular SUV, gets decent cash mileage, has 5 star crash rating, and you can still haul a decent amount of stuff (Forester/Outback). It seemed like an easy choice.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Here in the US and Canada, I think a lot of the recent success (2000s) can be pinned on the decision to market the WRX. With that single move, the brand went from "quirky" to "quirky, but cool". Not to say that some of their other products over the years weren't cool as well, but the WRX brought in a whole nuther type of consumer that they weren't really chasing before.

And of course, that performance seeped its way into the whole model lineup, minus the Tribeca, with every model eventually available with the sporty turbo motor. Speaking for myself, the WRX is what brought me in to the dealership the first time.

Even though the turbo cars are a small percentage of the total sold, it really put the brand in the spotlight from 2003-2007, and maybe 2008 if you count the Impreza redesign and the resulting new STi. Recent industry awards for the more "pedestrian" models have kept that streak going.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
144 Posts
ADC: You beat me to it.

Dan's post was insiteful also.

Birdman: in your research, I would advise caution if you're seeking a SINGLE reason for recent success, especially if you're looking at marketing strategies alone, to hang that success on.

Case in point: try REVERSE research- Look for which brands / products fared the WORST in your group, then compare specific differences with Subaru.

(hope that makes sense)

Intersting project!
Hope you post some of your conclusions as you work on it.

Good luck with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts