Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
837 Posts
Sounds awesome Schmee ! I figured you'd dig the sound of the Nameless exhaust on your rig. You dropped 10 pounds in exhaust weight compared to the stock cans. I had my new rig for exactly 1 day and had my Nameless set bolted up on day #2 . Unfortunately these new engines are so freakin quiet, the axleback exhaust does very little in making things sound better. I miss the burly sound of my 2.5 already. Enjoy!

·
FOZZ XT
2015 Snail Perf STG 2 FXT HT CVT
1,173 Posts
Saweeeeeeeet, glad you like them. You bought them used? Don't forget about DANPO on here that started that Nameless thread. Yours are aimed outward slightly and differently than mine. I wonder if those weren't made specifically for the 14+ FXT. I did the CBE and not just the axleback, but I found that resetting my ECU made a big difference after the install(car was a slug after before resetting the ECU).

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
awesome man!!! looks perfect.

could you take a pic looking straight down, say standing at bumper looking down at tip?
or completely perpendicular from the side? i feel like mine stick out more then some peoples........... id id get them from a guy that had them on a 3.6R leggy.....but all my research said they were 08-10 wrx sedan fitmen (thats what he stated too iirc).
Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about these. I took a couple pictures today of how much they stick out, so I'll upload them tomorrow. I agree, I think fitting a setup made for the WRXs will give a slightly imperfect fit, but it's so minimal that I don't mind.

Sounds awesome Schmee ! I figured you'd dig the sound of the Nameless exhaust on your rig. You dropped 10 pounds in exhaust weight compared to the stock cans. I had my new rig for exactly 1 day and had my Nameless set bolted up on day #2 . Unfortunately these new engines are so freakin quiet, the axleback exhaust does very little in making things sound better. I miss the burly sound of my 2.5 already. Enjoy!
You may have lost a little sound, but I don't think you can complain too much...you've got an XT now! Do you have any pictures of it yet? Any plans on if/what you're going to do to it?

Saweeeeeeeet, glad you like them. You bought them used? Don't forget about DANPO on here that started that Nameless thread. Yours are aimed outward slightly and differently than mine. I wonder if those weren't made specifically for the 14+ FXT. I did the CBE and not just the axleback, but I found that resetting my ECU made a big difference after the install(car was a slug after before resetting the ECU).
Yup, bought em used. Patiently waited and looked around for a pretty long time. Once I gave up and decided I wouldn't do anything with the exhaust, I saw a set up for sale here and couldn't pass it up. Ah yes, thanks to @DanPO, as well! I had a discussion with some guys at work if resetting the ecu would even help at all, as this is only an axleback and not cbe. I guess resetting the ecu wouldn't hurt anything. I'd just have to redo my stereo settings.

·
FOZZ XT
2015 Snail Perf STG 2 FXT HT CVT
1,173 Posts
That's great that they popped up for you and I think the aimed slightly out fit is pretty cool. If you know any local Subaru mechanics, they can reset the ECU in 30 seconds without disconnecting the battery. If it's just a few stereo settings, then just do it yourself in 5min. Enjoy your new exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
With the NA, I don't often travel into that 3-6k rpm land often. Since Brian mentioned it, I've started venturing out a bit and I like what I hear.

I flashed the ECU a few days ago and I'm not sure if it actually changed anything or if I'm just imagining it. Either way, it feels better to me, so that's nice.

In other news, I called Discount Tire and got a quote for a set of General Grabber AT2s and full-size spare. Switching wheels over Thanksgiving, then new tires after that. I'm getting pretty antsy.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Vehicle Everyday Carry

With inspiration from this thread and @mk2ja, I present my Vehicle Everyday Carry.

Starting with the trunk area:

• Air Compressor Bag
  • Blanket
  • Patagonia Better Sweater Jacket
  • Get Home Bag
It doesn't get very cold around here, so the light sweater should be enough to hold me over.

In the Air Compressor Bag:

• Viair Air Compressor
  • Tire tread-depth gage
  • Wrenches (moved to spare tire area)
This unused Subaru bag felt like a better fit for my combination wrenches:

Underneath the trunk area:

• Extra fuses
  • Cargo Net
  • Towel
  • Paper funnels
  • 1L Water
  • Microfiber towels
  • Combination Wrenches in Subaru pouch
  • Toilet paper
  • 1qt 0w-20 oil
  • Snatch Strap
  • Ratcheting Tie Downs
In other places around the car:

• Glove box: Pen, Sharpie, Tire Pressure Gage, knife
  • Center Console: More microfiber towels
  • Rear Seat Pocket: High power flashlight, cheap gloves (very possibly for women)
  • Under Passenger Seat: Jumper Cables

The Get Home Bag
I thought the idea of a Get Home Bag was kinda cheesy as I live in a small town and should be able to get home without needing much. But the idea of being stranded in my car somewhere further away made me think that it's not a bad idea to be prepared. So here it is:

• Bag: REI 25L backpack
  • Clothes: running shoes, socks, wool socks, thermal undershirt, underwear
  • First aid and a Hygiene pouch
  • Knicknacks: 50ft paracord, 3 Clif Bars, Gerber multi-tool, 2 flares, waterproof matches, compass, small LED tactical flashlight, Buck Knife, 1L water, 2 thermal blankets, and a cell phone battery charger.

Planned for the future:
Full size spare tire, possibly a machete for the Get Home Bag.

If there are things you see that are missing or could be added, let me know. I enjoy this kind of stuff a lot.

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium Standard
230 Posts
With inspiration from this thread and @mk2ja, I present my Vehicle Everyday Carry.

Starting with the trunk area:

• Air Compressor Bag
  • Blanket
  • Patagonia Better Sweater Jacket
  • Get Home Bag
It doesn't get very cold around here, so the light sweater should be enough to hold me over.

In the Air Compressor Bag:

• Viair Air Compressor
  • Tire tread-depth gage
  • Wrenches (moved to spare tire area)
This unused Subaru bag felt like a better fit for my combination wrenches:

Underneath the trunk area:

• Extra fuses
  • Cargo Net
  • Towel
  • Paper funnels
  • 1L Water
  • Microfiber towels
  • Combination Wrenches in Subaru pouch
  • Toilet paper
  • 1qt 0w-20 oil
  • Snatch Strap
  • Ratcheting Tie Downs
In other places around the car:

• Glove box: Pen, Sharpie, Tire Pressure Gage, knife
  • Center Console: More microfiber towels
  • Rear Seat Pocket: High power flashlight, cheap gloves (very possibly for women)
  • Under Passenger Seat: Jumper Cables

The Get Home Bag
I thought the idea of a Get Home Bag was kinda cheesy as I live in a small town and should be able to get home without needing much. But the idea of being stranded in my car somewhere further away made me think that it's not a bad idea to be prepared. So here it is:

• Bag: REI 25L backpack
  • Clothes: running shoes, socks, wool socks, thermal undershirt, underwear
  • First aid and a Hygiene pouch
  • Knicknacks: 50ft paracord, 3 Clif Bars, Gerber multi-tool, 2 flares, waterproof matches, compass, small LED tactical flashlight, Buck Knife, 1L water, 2 thermal blankets, and a cell phone battery charger.

Planned for the future:
Full size spare tire, possibly a machete for the Get Home Bag.

If there are things you see that are missing or could be added, let me know. I enjoy this kind of stuff a lot.
:rock: Awesome!

There's always more stuff to add or something to do differently, but it can quickly get too crazy. This looks like a very solid set of gear. Nice work!

I like how neat everything is in the organizer on top of the spare tire. Looks really good. Are those large rubber bands you're using to tie up the snatch strap?

That's one serious looking air compressor, too. I got a small one for Christmas last year, but I have never tried it out even though I keep it in the trunk, too. I should probably do that to make sure it's strong enough.

Paper funnels… that's a nice idea to save some weight. I may steal that. Where'd you get 'em?

Your Get-Home Bag looks good. I didn't have one either for quite a while. But all it takes is one time you end up someplace you don't normally go, wearing something unsuitable for work or foot travel, and boom, you'll appreciate having that extra change of clothes and supplies!

Do you have a poncho, or does your Patagonia jacket resist water? Something to help you stay dry might be a good addition. Couldn't tell whether you had a change of pants in there, too, but if you do end up wet, dry socks and pants will be a godsend for your morale and comfort.

If you're looking for a good machete, here's the one I have in my car: Cold Steel Jungle Machete.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks for the comments! Very much appreciated.

Yep, rubber bands for the snatch strap. It came with those ties that they tie newspapers and big packages with, so I knew I'd want something to hold it together after using it and I have a bag of giant rubber bands. Perfect.

Yeah, the air compressor came from Amazon. It was a little on the pricier side, but it got fantastic reviews and I wanted something reliable. I've used it once and it works very well and it's fast.

I think I just thought of the paper funnel one day when I was at a gas station. I'm not sure if it's all gas stations, but every one that I've been to gives them out for free. I made a point of getting 1-2 every time I filled up with gas. Within a few months I had a decent collection. Saves weight, saves space, saves a mess.

Yeah, rain gear or at least a poncho is a good idea. The jacket is pretty much a well-built fleece. I have a pair of shorts in the ziploc bag and I'm usually wearing jeans, so I figured I'd be fine with just that.

I'll look into that machete. After reading a few articles, I was looking at this one:
Makes me happy that you have a Cold Steel one as well. It makes me think I'm on the right path.

I also have some N95 dust masks that I forgot to add to my bag. I figured they might come in handy at some point. I also want to add an entrenching shovel for offroad shenanigans at some point as well.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,076 Posts
E-tool is a must for the kit if you don't have space for full shovel. I used mine more than once on seasonal use roads while in college. Might also consider switching machete for hatchet- more uses, even if it doesn't look as cool for killing zombies. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thanks for the tips! I just may bump the E-tool up on the priority list.

I have a splitting hatchet, but not a chopping hatchet. Not sure if it makes that much difference. I didn't even know there was a difference until after I bought it. I'm pretty new to the hatchet scene.

I'll still probably get the machete for brush clearing and chopping when backpacking and camping. Gotta have options!

As for zombie killing, if they're close enough to kill with a machete or hatchet, I've got bigger problems on my hands!

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
My passenger side windshield washer nozzle has been off for a while. I saw a post mentioning some tool and found the directions for it in the FSM. I used a metal "vertebrae" from the shorter wiper blade since it's thinner and easier to bend. I followed the directions and made a nozzle adjuster:

Old wiper torn apart:

First attempt (the tips need to be close to level, but mine were not):

Second attempt:

Adjusted the nozzle, then found out, it was just clogged. I need to take it apart at some point to fix it. But not today.

Bonus! Because #Squatch .

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
17 Posts
I had some room in the budget for tinting my tail lights. Slowly, the chrome is disappearing from this car.

I had it done at a shop in town that has done window tinting on 3 cars for me, including my Forester. They do a great job and stand by their work. Really nice guys and very professional.

For head and tail lights, they had two shades of vinyl. I went with the lighter shade, which I think is about equivalent to a 50% window tint. It might be a bit darker. I was considering Lamin-X covers, but I figured I would do a terrible job applying it and I'd end up having it done by these guys anyway, so I saved myself the trouble. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

After:

Great looking ride! I just put 16" black wheels and a set of Cooper AT3's on my 2010 and like the look. But I feel that I now have to loose the chrome.

Can you tell me more about the rear light tint. Did they open the lights and apply a tint to the inside or is this something that's done to the exterior?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thanks! I really like the look of your wheel/tire setup. What size tires are those? 215/70/16? How much space do you have between your tire and the front of your rear fender? I ask because I want that size, but have King Springs which moved my wheels up slightly and I'm wondering if I need the Primitive PRSS sub-frame alignment kit to re-center my wheels.

The rear tail lights can't be opened and put back together easily, since they're ultrasonically welded (plastic welding). I had them tinted at a local tint shop. They just use a vinyl wrap. Most tint shops will do this and they usually have a few different shades. Lamin-X is a company that has custom-cut sizes for you to do it yourself, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. I like the vinyl route (rather than VHT nite shades or other spray tints) since it can always be removed and brought back to look stock. You can call around to see what shops in your area charge, but with something like tint, I've found that most of the time you get what you pay for and I don't mind paying a bit extra to have something done right.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
17 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to look into it. I also like your blacked out headlights and will consider doing that as well. How long did the process take for that?

And yes, those AT3s are 215/70/16. I originally planned to do the Subtle 1" lift as well as the Primitive Subframe Spacer before putting the tires on but they fit on the stock height without any rubbing. I had a mix up with parts so the spacers will go on sometime after Thanksgiving. I think the tire will be a tight fit though with a lift if you don't center the rear wheels with the subframe spacers.

I'm attaching a pic of the rear wheel looking straight at it. I also measured (rear wheel clearances) and there's about 1" in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear of the tire/fender. If your springs moved the wheels forward you're looking at less then an inch clearance. Subtle did inform me that lots of people are running the lift without the subframe spacers without any issues. But that is with the stock tire diameter. The 215/70/16 is 27.9" which is about an inch over stock. That pushes everything closer to the body by half an inch. So you get the idea of how tight things may become. Hope this helps you out. I do like the AT tires on there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The tail light tint is definitely one of those unnecessary mods, but I think it adds quite a bit to the look of the car and I don't regret it a single bit. I'm guessing you saw this earlier post on the headlights. From start to finish it took me probably about 2.5-3 hours. But I'd give yourself the entire day and BE PATIENT. It's definitely something you don't want to rush. It was my first time every taking apart headlights so it was a learning experience, but everything went pretty smoothly. If I did it over, I'd probably put a light coat over the orange reflector.

Thanks for the info and the picture. That's exactly what I was looking for and confirms what I was thinking. I have about an inch between the rear stock tire and front of the rear wheel well. So it might fit, but it'd be very close. I think the smart thing to do would be to get the subframe spacer kit. And if I get that kit, I may as well get 1" spacers, right?

I love your tire and wheel combo against the blue SH. Did you buy the wheels black or are they plasti-dipped or powder coated? When I get the stock 16" I think I'll plasti dip them charcoal (middle wheel in this picture) with a single coat of glossifier.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
17 Posts
I did buy black wheels. I dipped my grill early this year but wasn't sure I liked the idea of dipping the wheels due to durability. But it wouldn't have been a problem from all that I read. I would've done it with the stock wheels but AT tire selection is just too limited for a 17" rim.

Anyway, go for the spacer kit if you like the look. This thread inspired me to go for it. I hope to have mine installed by late next week and can post up some pics if you want to see it.

I just don't know where it'll all end now for me. My wish list includes black door handles, tint rear lights, black out headlights, side body molding... But at least these mods are all on the cheaper end vs. lift, wheels and tires. It's all fun :grin2:

·
Registered
2011 Forester X LTD 4EAT
687 Posts
Car looks awsome man! I just picked up an '11 X LTD a couple weeks ago and like everyone else, the wishlist has started and is getting longer!

81 - 100 of 198 Posts