Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Tow Hooks and D-Rings

This is good info. Thanks, Machine1. I'll probably end up getting the STi 19mm rear sway and just disconnect it when going off-road.

In other news, got my second tow-hook (Subaru PN 57805FG000):

And the front that has been on for a few months:

Part Numbers
  • Subaru Factory Tow Hook: 57805FG000
  • Smittybilt 3/4" D-Ring: 13047B
  • Daystar Washers: KU71074BK
  • Daystar Isolators: KU70056BK
The last 3 items are readily available on Amazon.

·
Registered
2011 forester auto
30 Posts
Great thread. Looking forward to the wheel swap but looks great so far. Motivating me to lose the chrome.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks, ctpunk! Glad I could help. I'm really looking forward to getting new tires as well. It's definitely time.

As for getting rid of the chrome, plasti-dip is a great product to get an idea of how something will look, but in my opinion, it's not a long-term solution. It will hold up nicely for a while, but after a while, with enough exposure, it'll need to be redone or touched up, at least. Although, for the cost, it can't really be beat.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Modifying Side Splash Guards

When I installed my 1/8" Primitive skid plate (Post 16), I removed the side splash guards since they no longer fit with the plate installed. They've just been sitting in a corner waiting to be modified. So I finally took the time to cut them up.

Some help from Machine1:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/i-think-its-time-new-skidplate-275041/index2.html#post3205866

And some help from this post:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/skid-plate-necessary-113261/index4.html#post2064770

Here's what I did.
Somehow, I don't have a dremel or rotary tool, so I tried using a sharp exacto knife, a hacksaw, then eventually a jigsaw. Jigsaw worked great, but because of the weird shape, you need to be extra careful in holding the material and keeping your hand and fingers behind the blade. Then I just sanded down the burrs.

Passenger side:

You can see I removed the innermost clip. Since I was taking off so much material, that clip wasn't doing anything for me, so I decided to just cut it off and make things easier. I think you can cut it in such a way to keep the clip if you want, but I feel like it's more work to try to keep than it's worth.

After cutting:

Both sides cut:

Driver side coverage in the wheel well:

Driver side coverage and fitment underneath:

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Thanks, guys! I just bought the 19mm STi rear sway bar a few seconds ago and I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to talk with Nameless this week about lead times for a 4" muffler axleback and hopefully buy it soon, if for no other reason than to get me to stop listening to the same 5 YouTube sound clips.

After those are done, the next step is some Grabber AT2s, but that won't happen until after Thanksgiving. I'm pretty excited about these changes!

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
WeatherTech Mats

Small update, but still something. I've had the OEM all-weather mats for about 2 years now and they've been great, but I recently had a friend buy WeatherTechs (by my recommendation) for his 4Runner and when I saw them, I got jealous. So I made the switch.

WeatherTechs:

OEM All-Weathers vs WeatherTechs:

OEM Fronts:

WeatherTech Fronts:

Rear WeatherTechs:

I'm happy with these. Great coverage and they seem really well made. Plus a 3-year warranty which is nice. Within the few weeks I've had them, I prefer them to the OEM all-weathers.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
19mm Rear Sway Bar

From what I've read, the 19mm STi rear sway bar is a good bang-for-the-buck upgrade in terms of handling and is a pretty simple install. For around $90 shipped for the bar and bushings, I figured I'd give it a go.

Parts and Part Numbers:

Old and New:

Lengths and mounting points are identical, just the bar thickness is different

Very straightforward and simple install. The nut that attaches the endlink to the sway bar requires a box wrench with an allen. I was spinning for a while with a socket, then realized there's an allen that needs to be held while removing the nut.

I really like the difference in handling. I'm far from a professional driver so I can't give much technical or analytical description of the change, but it's much more fun to drive. I think a decent set of wheels would make a huge difference at this point.

But I'm planning on 215/70/16 General Grabber AT2s, so I'll take a step in the other direction.

All-in-all, a very simple, cheap, and easy upgrade that makes a significant difference. If I went back in time, I'd definitely do it over again.

Kartboy Endlinks (Post 167)

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
837 Posts
Hey Schmee, I was just looking at Discount tire's web site and it seems as though they are now making the Geolander AT-S in a 225/65/17. I know you're looking at the taller skinnier tire, but if you don't want to sacrifice your newfound suspension upgrades and want a badass go damn-near anywhere tire- you may want to have a look at these. My 225/60/17 AT-S' surprise the poop out of me when taking corners harder/faster than I probably should. I think that the 65 series tire should fit, but it'd be tight and it would look awesome. I know a guy who went with the 215's and wasn't super thrilled how they filled our cavernous wheel wells.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Seriously. Why do you have to say this?

Right when I think I've finally settled on my tire size you do this to me. I'll take a look. I was pretty dead-set on the 225/60/17 A/T-s, but after a bit decided on switching wheels with my sister (my 17s for her 16s) and getting a bit more sidewall. I'd like the Grabber AT2s in 225/70/16, but they don't make it in that size. Maybe I kick down some cash and go with 225/70/16 BFG AT?

I do like the price of 16" tires vs 17". I just don't know anymore.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Wood Getting

I picked up a load of wood this weekend. This is how much I got. I may have been able to squeeze a bit more in, but was being slightly careful.

If you're wondering how much wood you can carry, this highly technical post should answer all your questions.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
fozz looks classy man!! i love the look of those wheels black!......but such small tailpipes.....:shrug:

and thank you for this education...now i know i can haul exactly "that" much wood in the back of my SH while keeping it on the "slightly careful" side.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
hahahaha! Thanks, man! I'm pretty happy with how it's been coming together. I'm getting pretty antsy for some new tires, though.

Funny you should say that about the tailpipes, though, because just yesterday, during my lunch break, this.

More pictures, and hopefully sound clips coming soon.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Nameless Axleback with 4" Mufflers

Thanks to @Jhoo, @DJ BrianBASS, @FXTerrific and @silve225 for convincing me to get this (especially to silve225 for selling me his). Also, @andflop for posting great sound clips.

Useful, relevant threads:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f183/nameless-axle-back-126180/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f183/nameless-exhaust-2-5-na-video-315585/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f207/nameless-performance-exhaust-218026/

I was pretty amped to install these. I was at work when they arrived at my house, so I had my wife drive me home (wanted my mufflers cool when taking them off) to pick them up and installed them at the end of my lunch break in the office parking lot. Start to finish, the install took about 20 minutes. Remove 2 bolts, slide muffler off hangers, slide new muffler on, bolt up, repeat on the other side, and torque to spec. Simple as it gets.

Slightly used, but in perfect condition.

Driver's side.

The tip is close on the passenger side, but it isn't touching.

I was worried the 3.5" tips would look huge and ricey, but I think they look alright.

Here is a sound clip of start up and acceleration. First time uploading something to YouTube, so let me know if it sucks or if it doesn't work.
http://youtu.be/ScRjUK_0vss

Well...I don't know how to embed the video and it's only available in 240p. ***. I don't know. I don't think the sound is affected.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
awesome man!!! looks perfect.

could you take a pic looking straight down, say standing at bumper looking down at tip?
or completely perpendicular from the side? i feel like mine stick out more then some peoples........... id id get them from a guy that had them on a 3.6R leggy.....but all my research said they were 08-10 wrx sedan fitmen (thats what he stated too iirc).

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
i think its just nature of the beast on these being wrx fitment on an SH, as your diagonal pic looks like my setup. good thing is itll def reduce any drone that much more not being "under" the cabin as much.

61 - 80 of 198 Posts