Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
hey buddy! what model subaru is your axleback built for?
like do they have an SH one? or is it from certain year impreza? leggy?

mine is the 5" muffler one, but it still seems to have different looking bends then ones in your pics while back.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AT
3 Posts
Hi Schmee,

Google led me to your post when searching around a jack stand cushion to ease my 2008 Forester pinch weld. Great thread, thumbs up, man!!!

I assume by now your jack blocks are all gone. But can you share the links where you buy materials from so that I can make some myself? Also I'm not sure if it's just me or everyone, your post photos don't load up in my computer. So if you could email me the photos as well, that'll be great. Thanks!

Willie

Here's the latest addition to my toolbox/garage. Realizing that my small, on-sale, 13" lift, ACDelco trolley jack just wasn't cutting it, I figured it was time to invest in an actual floor jack that could lift up the Forester (and could handle a potential future 1" lift). Ideally, I wanted something high-quality, American-made, and for a reasonable price. Then I realized that combo doesn't exist. I looked at Hein-Werner, Craftsman, etc. After some research, I came to the conclusion that for my purposes, I don't need to spend a ton and get something top-of-the-line.

I ended up with a Harbor Freight 3-Ton Floor Jack. It was on sale for $90, but I've heard you can get coupons to bring it down to $60ish.

Wanting to save my pinch welds when using the jack, I wanted to make a jack block like the one Gorilla Off-Road makes. So here's my shot at manufacturing:

I started with 1.5" x 2.0" UMHW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) Polyethylene bar stock. Probably easiest to buy from McMaster or you might get lucky talking to some machine shops around town.

Not having a dado blade, I had to make 4-5 passes on the table saw with an 1/8" kerf to get the slot for the pinch weld. It came out alright, though. Then I used a miter saw to cut the bar down to 2" sections.

Chamfered the edges at 45° and lined them up with my drawing for an artsy picture.

Fits quite nicely.

And here is the block in action, lifting the front tire off the ground.

Here's a bonus shot. This gives a better idea of how the charcoal plasti-dip turned out. , this should be a bit better example.

I have 3 or 4 extra jack blocks that I'd be happy to give away if anyone wants one (as long as you don't sue me if something goes wrong). Consider it a reward for reading through an entire post about a jack and jack blocks. That takes quite a bit of commitment...or boredom.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Hey Willie, thanks for looking!

The material I used came from a local machine shop, but I'm pretty sure they got it from McMaster Carr. Check around at local machine shops or industrial supply stores. Some people even just use hockey pucks. Google "Hockey puck pinch weld." You just need a high density plastic. I used a UMHW (Ultra-high molecular weight) polyethylene. I'm sure a delrin would work just fine as well.

As for the pictures, that's odd. Are you on mobile or desktop? I know mobile has its issues. I'm pretty sure most people can see them, though. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if it's anything wrong on my end.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AT
3 Posts
Thanks Schmee. I'll get a few hockey pucks as the UHMW seems to be pretty pricy.

As for the photos, the problem is on my end. I tried on a different computer and voila, all photos popped up!!

Thanks for the reply and keep writing up, we are watching!!

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
@FXTerrific and @SHHHHHH, Sorry guys! Thanks for looking out for me. So I moved states last June and my whole daily routine changed and I got out of my groove of checking/posting on here. I haven't really done anything new to the Forester other than regular maintenance, changed the washer fluid reservoir (there was some nasty built-up sludge/mold inside. Possible post to come on that), and changed my pads/rotors. I still have my Subtle lift kit sitting on the shelf and need to get around to installing that. I think I'm just a bit hesitant to tackle that one by myself.
@Chucker I actually just got around to changing them last month. I went with Centric Rotors and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics. I read a lot of reviews about the Stoptech Street Performance pads leaving some buildup with daily driving. It sounds like their built more for hard braking, which I don't do too much of. After installing the Posi-Quiets and Centric Rotors I didn't notice a significant difference. I was at 70,000mi and my stock pads still had plenty of life left, but I changed them anyway. Up until recently I was noticing a "groan" come from the front corners when braking at slow speeds downhill or when turning at slow speeds (pulling forward to back-in to a parking spot). It seems to have gone away, so maybe it was just bed-in. As far as feedback, so far, they've performed about the same as stock, maybe slightly better. I think my tires (oversize, wide tread) affect my stopping power, though. I haven't notice much dust at all and they are definitely silent.

Let's hope this post gets me back into my SF.org groove!

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
I definitely like it here. I just need to post a bit more to get back in the swing of things.

Also, I finally got the Forester into the snow this winter. Driving in snow feels like...driving in not snow. It was a bit fun seeing cars putting on chains and being able to just rumble on by. I also saw a big RAM truck and a Jeep Grand Cherokee (I'm hoping it was 2WD) get stuck in the parking lot at Steven's Pass.

I love the sun and beaches and all that, but there's something magical about snowy mountains.

·
Registered
2009 FXT Limited 4EAT :(
859 Posts
I love the sun and beaches and all that, but there's something magical about snowy mountains.
And the Stevens Pass area is even more special on top of that. There are lots of fools (more so on I90 than HWY 2) who have 4WD and think that's all they need and neglect to get decent rubber. I know it's not nice of me to do but I have to LOL at all the "trucks" having a hard time getting over either pass when I zip by in my lowered WRX wagon.. at least that was the case when I lived there.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
@GTEASER, sadly, nothing really new. I don't really have the same time and space to work on my car as much anymore, so it's kinda been put on the back burner for the past 2 years or so. I still have my 1" lift kit that I've been meaning to install, but again, need time and space, which has been tricky for me to find. I guess you could say I've just been working on improving the driver.

I appreciate you looking through here! I've learned quite a bit from this community and I'm happy to help and offer whatever aid I can. Let me know if you have any questions on anything.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts