Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning an install for a while on the SH and this past Thursday I took apart a good amount of the front interior but still couldn't get to the cigarette lighter in the SH. It looks as if they, Subaru, built the vehicle around this item. I took out the center console, the cubbie area/shift selector moulding, the radio bezel and even removed the center a/c duct but I still could not get to the cigarette lighter. Does anyone have a schematic or "how to removal guide" to this item. I need to get to the back of the cigarette lighter and the wires/plugs. Need some help here. If anyone has any info on it it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SO. I know about that area. Just wanted to see if anyone had anything on this before I had to resort to purchasing it. It is really funky how in the vehicle it seems as if they built the dash around the CL, although it could be me and my brain was experiencing brain farts.......:biggrin: I don't remember any of my past vehicles having such an issue in getting to the CL. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2006 subaru forester 2.5
83 Posts
maybe u could post a pic, so some of us could guess how to remove it?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, these are crummy shots but its the best I have. I'm not gonna take everything off again until I know what I have to do.

It looks very sealed from the rear also. I really couldn't see in there as my head is too big (hehe) but by feeling around it was even difficult to determine what wires went where back there.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
Any accessories that might need to access a similar spot?? The accessory pdf's are free downloads at techinfo.
How about the footwell lighting accessory the center cubby led looks next to the lighter socket.

I got the 72 hr subscription when we first got the fxt. Well worth it in my opinion. Theres a post here some where with my downloading strategy. Maybe just bite the bullet?? This won't be the last time you need info like this.

dm

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any accessories that might need to access a similar spot?? The accessory pdf's are free downloads at techinfo.
How about the footwell lighting accessory the center cubby led looks next to the lighter socket.

I got the 72 hr subscription when we first got the fxt. Well worth it in my opinion. Theres a post here some where with my downloading strategy. Maybe just bite the bullet?? This won't be the last time you need info like this.

dm
Yea I looked at most of the accessory install guides that I thought would relate and none dealt with the CL. I actually did install the footwell illum kit myself and it did not deal with the CL at all. I may have to bite the bullet and subscribe since it doesn't seem that anyone has this. Bummer.
Thanks for the advise DM.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Finally got a chance to look in the manual for you. There are a couple of spade terminals on the rear, then it's retained by a threaded collar.

But to get at it, the manual says you gotta remove the whole bottom section of the dash- console, painted grey bit w/ heater controls, then the bottom part.

You *might just* get away with removing the driver's side underdash (knee panel) bit, then reaching round. Dunno.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for checking dpm. That's what I thought and was kinda worried about. What a dumb design set-up. I have never owned a vehicle where it was sooooo difficult just to get to the CL. The engineers IMHO failed on that one. They get an F on the score card. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester XT 4EAT
59 Posts
What is that yellow box with all the wiring attatched to it? Is it a computer box of some sort? I thought it was all dead space in there. I was actually planning on installing a sub in there but it looks like that won't be an option from the pictures you've provided. Good luck with the CL issue you have! :) I hope you find a solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts