Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front brake pads yesterday and when I was done I took my car out to break in the pads. However, when I first got in the car I did not pump up the brakes to seat the calipers. When I put the car in reverse and started to back out of my garage I hit the brakes so I wouldn't idle out too fast, but the brake pedal went straight to the floor and I backing out of my garage faster than I ever did. It took me a split second to pump the brakes and get my car stopped (seemed like a loooong split-second), but what if someone or something was behind me. Man, was my heart racing afterward.:shake:

I'm 45 and I've been changing my brakes since I started driving, and I don't ever remember this happening in the past.

So folks, don't forget to pump up the brakes after replacing the pads and before you take the car for a spin. I'll never forget again, trust me.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
I did the same thing in my Mini Cooper S about a year or so ago.That will make your poopooholepucker real fast!

joe r

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I think we've all done that, gives you that really bad feeling in the pit of your stomach!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
144 Posts
I think we've all done that, gives you that really bad feeling in the pit of your stomach!

The first (and so far, only) time I did it was with a motorcycle. It takes a few pumps with the tiny master cylinders to get the pistons back out and pads touching. In the mean time, your hair stands up on end and turns gray at the same time.

Drive carefully,
Bob

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Worse on a bicycle- snow ontop of the Peaks yesterday and my rear pads were zero/gone. Made me go quicker than usual though (which isnt a bad thing)

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
This is why SOME of us are too sissy to try the job ourselves. I want my wife to able to sue whatever dealer/tech who does the brakes for us........after I've plowed into a granite truck, here in NH.

It's far worse if you do it yourself only to "F" it up and have no one else to blame......

Blame is good......

Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
144 Posts
This is why SOME of us are too sissy to try the job ourselves. I want my wife to able to sue whatever dealer/tech who does the brakes for us........after I've plowed into a granite truck, here in NH.

It's far worse if you do it yourself only to "F" it up and have no one else to blame......

Blame is good......

Steve

Yes. "Personal responsibility" is a lost concept these days. :icon_confused:

Drive carefully,
Bob

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
I did that too last year! After changing out the front pads/rotors, I backed out of the garage onto the driveway. I needed to slow down because a car was coming, hit the brake pedal and it went to the floor. I grabbed the handbrake as fast as I could, but it didn't grab very well. After a few pumps the front brakes caught just as I was at the bottom of the driveway. Whew!

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts

Blame is good......

St
Been workin on cars for 30+ years and never had any incidents after repair or servicing until 2 weeks ago after spring replacement wondered why the car was all over the road on a test drive. Thought I'd put the struts back on opposite sides!. I'd only forgotten to tighten the wheel nuts!. The most basic check after taking wheels off and automatic after 30 years . But I made the mistake!. But having said that if you do the job yourself (and you know what you're about), you know that its been done right (usually) and you can attend to other minor issues you've found that a repair shop wont bother with because time is money. Even the professionals can get it wrong as you will well know. In these litigation days its good for the soul as Steve says that there's no one to blame but yourself!... cheeees I'm rambling on , had a few pints so please excuse me , bye chaps

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts

Blame is good......

Steve
this is why the world is soooooooooooooo messed up everyone sues everyone over EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy:

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 X Prem.
51 Posts
Been workin on cars for 30+ years and never had any incidents after repair or servicing until 2 weeks ago after spring replacement wondered why the car was all over the road on a test drive. Thought I'd put the struts back on opposite sides!. I'd only forgotten to tighten the wheel nuts!. The most basic check after taking wheels off and automatic after 30 years .
Over the years I have learned the following:
NEVER put a drain plug in finger tight. Not even if you have removed the oil pan. Torque it or leave it out.
NEVER put a wheel on the ground until it's been torqued. (Drop it just low enough so it won't turn while you torque it.)
ALWAYS step back at the end of the job and recall torquing each important fastener. Can't remember doing it? Re-torque it.
NEVER try to remember torque specs. Look it up. Each and every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts