Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Scangauge is just an ideal size for the ashtray opening. I cut away everything from the rear apart from the bits needed for the hinge mechanism. I then stuck some aluminium brackets on the inside of the lid which were bent to fit the Scangauge. Next I made up a short length of flat flexible network cable, the cable with the gauge is too stiff to fold and unfold with the lid movement. The ciggy lighter was moved to the side pocket. Job done.

I just need to find some black material to cover the wiring at the back.

Max

Now you see it.

Now you don't.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Nice job. I've sometimes thought about getting one of those - do you find it useful?

And out of curiousity what's the row of coloured LEDs on the right side of the console?

-- Steve

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In answer to the last two posts the Scangauge reads and cancels error codes with no problem. That was one of the reasons I bought it, on the "improved" 06 model error codes set numerous dash lights flashing and disable the criuse. Very annoying when you are about to embark on a long journey at night. At least I can now hopefully cancel if the dreaded secondary air injection fault raises its ugly head again.

I have found the more mundane gauges the most useful, volts and miles to tank empty. Also the total fuel cost for the journey is quite useful if someone else is paying for the petrol. :biggrin:

The LEDs are a voltage read out for the battery, which I don't actually need now.

Max.

·
Registered
2006 sti forester,TR6 6 speed manual
173 Posts
Please note the scangauge will not work on STI imports they have a different UB2 set up spent 3 weeks finding that out!!

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts
Please note the scangauge will not work on STI imports they have a different UB2 set up spent 3 weeks finding that out!!
Yup ! On early subaru and JDM car you need a SSMI or SSMII software and correct OBD cable connector to read ECU's and do live data logging. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Nice Install!

Where does the other end of the cable connect to? Does the OBD port accomodate a LAN/data cable or an adaptor is required? I'm really interested as this something I would do next payday!

Thank you

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
one end of the cable connect to car ODBII port (under the steering wheel) and the other end connect to the scan-gauge port. So no adaptor needed it all inc in the box :biggrin:

[/url]
Sorry major, if you want the scangauge in the ashtray with a working lid you do need to extend with a piece of flat flexible cat5 cable. The connection at the scangauge end is an ordinary network plug so you need a cat5 straight coupling. If you don't want the ashtray door to close then the cable as supplied is fine.

Max

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
22 Posts
Does anybody know if a thin, flexible ethernet cable (much thinner than the one in the ashtray installation picture) will work?

The bulky, rigid cable that comes with the Scangauge E makes clean installation almost impossible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts