Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't a really stupid question. The 2009 comes "pre-wired" for satellite radio and the stereo system has a button that says SAT. I thought this means that all I have to do is subscribe for satellite service and that the hardware is already in the car. Is that right? I called Sirius and was told I needed to give them an ESN number and to get it I should tune in to channel "0". When hit the SAT button though, nothing happens. The radio stays on the FM channel. Am I being stupid and I actually still need to buy a satellite radio? If so, what does "pre-wired satellite ready" even mean? Any suggestions for how to make this happen? Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
It's not what i'd consider very expensive if you prefer a clean, warrantied, OEM solution. But yeah, your salesperson should have clarified that with you.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
To get sat on your radio you need a Subaru specific module. Very expensive. About 3-4 hundred. Talk to your dealership.
This also comes with the windshield mounted antenna, it's a complete kit. It will plug into the back of the HU. If you can do some modding and can follow instructions, which are included, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to install. I believe there is a write up here on the forum......just use the search feature. After you install it you will still need to subscribe to either XM or Sirius. If you are going to do this and subscribe I would recommend the lifetime subscription.....when I checked last I think it was a flat $300. Not really sure about it though as I don't pay for mine.......got it as a gift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts