Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on my THIRD factory windshield in my 2010 2.5X Touring (with Sirius Satellite Radio package installed at the factory or dealer) and after sitting in the sun all day (only about 25 degrees Celsius - 75-ish Fahrenheit), the glue on the double sided tape strips has let go and dropped the antenna repeatedly. SO I used some adhesive velcro strips. Same thing. Any ideas/suggestions for keeping the antenna in place? Especially since the connecting wires look to be 28 gauge and I HATE having it drop repeatedly for fear of wrecking the connection.

I'm in a different city than the dealership that did the glass install so the willingness to honour a warranty might be compromised.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
22 Posts
Better Antenna Installation

Sounds like my 2007 where they stupidly installed the Sirius antenna inside the windshield on the passenger side. Against everything that Sirius says. You likely get poor reception and frequent drop outs like I did.

Get a small magnet antenna and put it outside just above the hatch on the roof. The price will only be about $10. Half an hour to route the cable behind the inside interior panels to the sat radio tuner. Problem solved.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Sounds like my 2007 where they stupidly installed the Sirius antenna inside the windshield on the passenger side. Against everything that Sirius says. You likely get poor reception and frequent drop outs like I did.

Get a small magnet antenna and put it outside just above the hatch on the roof. The price will only be about $10. Half an hour to route the cable behind the inside interior panels to the sat radio tuner. Problem solved.
^^^^^^^^^^ Do this ^^^^^^^^^^ and you will be doing this....

:woohoo:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I mounted my sirius sat on the roof near the FM antenna. Ran the cable along the ceiling inside then popped it out at the top of the rear hatch.

Looks sweet.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks.... Sigh... yeah, I was AFRAID of that - I'm not even REMOTELY mechanically inclined so I think I'll get some rear view mirror adhesive FOR NOW until I get the disposable cash to "invest" in moving the antenna (as in PAYING someone who won't mess it up like I certainly will!)

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
I'm just digging up this old thread. I tried having my Sirius antenna hidden inside the dash. No good. I'm getting way too many dropouts even in wide open spaces. I'm going to have the antenna moved outside to the back of the roof like it's recommended. My only question is this. Does the wire going over the back roof edge have enough room so that it doesn't get pinched by the rear hatch? It looks ok in the pictures here but it's awfully tight when opening and closing it. I have a 2009 Forester. Thanks.

I mounted my sirius sat on the roof near the FM antenna. Ran the cable along the ceiling inside then popped it out at the top of the rear hatch.

Looks sweet.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium
44 Posts
My 10-with 1800 miles-has a cracked windshield and I'm worried (even more now after reading this thread) about the XM antenna issue.

Does anyone know if the antenna can be removed and remounted, or is a new antenna required?

I don't mind it on the windshield as I don't have any dropouts and I'm not good at DIY to remount it on the roof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts