Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting Bay Area!

Flying do the Bay area this weekend (Oct 31 to Nov2), with my Uncle.

While Uncle is visiting friend and relatives, and I get the car and can do my thing.

San Francisco
Daly City
Castro Valley

Suggestions for close state park, beach or ocean views, big redwood?
Suggestions for bakery
Suggestion for "cheap" eats (Asian food)?

Thanks
Zee from up North (Washington)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Cheap eats - check out this thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-west-coast-good-eats-thread-8180/

If you want redwoods, you'll have to make it out to the North Bay. Muir Woods would be the closest. That will also get you close enough to the Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam for some killer views and roads. See my thread here for reference: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/mt-tamalpais-bolinas-ridge-pics-61476/

Just a heads up, SF is horrible for exploration by car. If you're just driving around it might be ok, but for frequent stops to check stuff out I would recommend ditching the car and taking public transportation. Hunting for parking in SF is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you'd like to meet up one of those days, shoot me a pm. Roo and I will be happy to give you a tour of the area north of the Golden Gate, if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
-Muir Woods across the Golden Gate Bridge. I wouldn't try the beaches in San Francisco proper though, especially if it's not sunny (it shouldn't be at this time of year). But the headlands have nice secluded beaches too (takes a short hike to get to them.. like Kirby Cove.. I loved to ride my mountain bike down that rocky trail.. back up is another story). If San Francisco proper is sunny though, Ocean Beach even looks good at sunset. And remember that since the city is only so big, watching the sun set from high stop the hills can be quite a sight--skip Twin Peaks and go to Grand View Park (we've called it Turtle Park all my life though.. guess it's a neighborhood thing) and sit facing the Pacific. It's a public place, but be respectful there. Neighbors will call the cops on the crazies. This is what you'll see:

(can kinda see my house lol.. i used to run here every day @ 5am in middle school)

-Bakery... what kind of bakery? Try Arizmendi and Schubert's though. If you want cheesecake, Zanze's is my favorite. They make such soft and light cheesecakes that you have to cut it with a fishing line to not ruin it.

-Man.. SF is like cheap asian food everywhere. Irving St, Clement St, and Chinatown are the main places though. I love San Tung on Irving. People rave about Burma Superstar but the wait time is horrendous. Marnee Thai is my friend Kasidit's restaurant but is highly regarded as one of the best Thai places in SF. Man I could go on and on but one of the most reliable ways of finding good eats is..... YELP. SF is a HUGE yelp center. Rely on it to find whatever you want!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I went through the "cheap eats" thread and got hungry fast!
What I am afraid of is ... what was good in 2006 is no longer there or ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess the best thing is to treat a friend who knows the public transportation to a day on the town!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
See, I'm all about exploring San Francisco and surrounding areas by car. Although, probably best done by someone who knows the city driving you around. I can always find parking and there are shortcuts though the city everywhere. Muni is cool, it just takes sooo long to get anywhere.. and, you can't leave the city easily.

Where are you staying in San Francisco, and what do you want to see?

For state park, beach or ocean views, big redwood -- drive up Hwy 1, up Mt. Tam, down to Muir Woods/Muir Beach, up to Stinson Beach, up to Pt. Rayes and take Sr. Francis Drake back to 101 is hard to beat.

Golden Gate park is cool, deYoung Museum area of the park is pretty fun to explore. From there you can walk towards Height street if you want to check out that whole scene. If you have time on a Sunday, renting bikes to ride through the Golden Gate park may be pretty cool.

Cheap good Asian food is plentiful here. King of Thai is decent and has a few location throughout the city.

Stan

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
neoshi, we must've grown up near each other. I can kinda see my house from your photos too. Sunset District represent!

That being said:

Bakeries:

Tartine is a world famous french bakery. Lines can get kinda long though
Golden Gate Bakery in Chinatown for AMAZING dantaat egg tarts
Shengkee bakery on Irving or in Westlake Shopping Center for a decent Asian bakery
Arizmendi is a good artisan Bakery

State Park: Golden Gate National Recreational Area - Golden Gate National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) GGNA Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Check out the Presidio, too. There is a new Walt Disney Museum in the presidio, but you'd have to buy tickets in advance.

Cheap Eats: +1 on King of Thai.
ABC Bakery on Noriega for some good Baked Pork Chop over rice
Arinell Pizza, according to my friend from Brooklyn, the best pizza outside of NYC.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
^ :) I knew your SF location (from your SF -> MI thread) looked familiar. just couldn't pin which street it was.

Good suggestions. I often don't recommend Chinatown spots for visitors because they end up getting frustrated looking for parking LOL but there are parking garages to use. But Golden Gate Bakery = +1 I actually go there every time I go home.

Is the new museum in the old VA hospital? That was a nice spot to explore when it was gated off.

Agreed on KoT and ABC! Oh man.. all my high school pit stops :p

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
660 Posts
+1 for San Tung and their wings. Yummy.

SF is basically like Seattle with a lot more hobos sleeping on the sidewalk. Food, diversity is all very similar. It should actually be relatively nice for this time of year, upper 60's during the day.

You could check out the museums, there are tons in SF. deYoung, MoMA, Asian Art, Legion of Honor, etc.

I'm not too familiar with bakeries, but my fiancee loves Stella's up in North Beach. Get an italian soda with sacripantina.

And like others have mentioned, there is good Asian food all over SF. Chinatown, Irving St., Larkin St.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
^ :) I knew your SF location (from your SF -> MI thread) looked familiar. just couldn't pin which street it was.

Good suggestions. I often don't recommend Chinatown spots for visitors because they end up getting frustrated looking for parking LOL but there are parking garages to use. But Golden Gate Bakery = +1 I actually go there every time I go home.

Is the new museum in the old VA hospital? That was a nice spot to explore when it was gated off.

Agreed on KoT and ABC! Oh man.. all my high school pit stops :p
I'm by Golden Gate Park, essentially Lincoln/Sunset.
Did you go to Lowell or Lincoln, or *gasp* SI?

The museum is in that main complex: The Walt Disney Family Museum

That VA hospital is still hanging out, abandoned and chillin.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
SF is basically like Seattle with a lot more hobos sleeping on the sidewalk.
LOL well ain't that the truth! I find that SF and Seattle folks find it very easy to move between cities when relocating (Seattle is our 2nd choice for our next move, with SF being 1st just because it's home).

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
Lowell here too, class of 94, you?

edit: don't wanna keep crapping on this thread. If you have any questions about if a cheap eats place is still open, ask us, I'm sure we could tell you.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Whoa small world! Class of '03. :) My cousin was Class of '92 though. Phillip Ho. Know him? Football player and rank 2nd in class.

Sorry for the derail! GO CARDINALS!

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
toyose in the sunset, it's a korean restaurant with a japanese name in a garage of a house. Great Korean drinking food, and good yogurt soju.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Ton Kiang the best Dim Sum all day. Geary and 22nd/23rd. Skip the Chinatown slime. All of the areas around the water are scenic. The area north of Chrissy Field in the Presido and down the Great Hwy. towards Fort Funston are close by.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Lowell here too, class of 94, you?

edit: don't wanna keep crapping on this thread. If you have any questions about if a cheap eats place is still open, ask us, I'm sure we could tell you.
Class of 92' Serra High School what what?

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
Ton Kiang the best Dim Sum all day. Geary and 22nd/23rd. Skip the Chinatown slime. All of the areas around the water are scenic. The area north of Chrissy Field in the Presido and down the Great Hwy. towards Fort Funston are close by.
Not a fan of Ton Kiang. Hong Kong Flower Lounge or Koi Palace or Mayflower for dimsum.

·
Registered
09 Forester Limited
184 Posts
SF Traffic

The Bay Bridge is closed to all traffic into and out of the city. This is the main route in&out of SF. Do not try to cross the Golden Gate Bridge! The approaches to the GG Bridge are expected to be a major traffic jam. Also the San Mateo Bridge is a gridlock. many drivers simply run out of gas on the bridge and approach while waiting in traffic. Parking may be easier to find since there will be about 100,000 fewer cars in the city. Bay Area Rapid Transit (aka BART) will carry 83,000 extra passengers. The ferry and the buses wil carry the rest. Parking will still be expensive!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts