Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads, had the foz in the main stealers last month because it showed check engine light and fuel consumption was mad high. When they plugged it in they said she was running lean and after further investagation they found a part of the exaust was cracked ( part no. 44104FE010 manifold to turbo).

Now this evening the check engine light has reappeared and fuel consumption has gone through the roof again! ANY ideas??? It did sound a little rough on idle when i started it this morning.:confused:

Thanks

Derek.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,572 Posts
If your check engine light is on then you need to have the code read.

Once you have that can try and diagnose.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had it read this evening and it came up as fuel mixture?? They didmt have time to look into it any further as it was 6pm.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,572 Posts
Just had it read this evening and it came up as fuel mixture?? They didmt have time to look into it any further as it was 6pm.

Without the OBDII code - Pxxxx difficult to say. Could be P0172 "System too Rich (Bank 1)" may be not.:icon_question:

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Suspicious that it has happened so soon after being fixed with much the same symptoms. Did they make a proper repair one wonders. Take it the air filter is not clogged?. Induction and exhaust leaks a possibility. Running lean to a high degree would cause overheating and maybe cracked the manifold originally.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I'm waiting to find out why you think a 'clogged' air filter would cause that?

As Don says its the code that is critical, give us the code and we can have a guess....give some advice!

A Cracked exhaust (or any other exhaust leak pre O2 sensor or very close after it) will lead to it running rich, oxygen leaks into the exhaust, is read by the O2 sensor as a lean mixture (excess oxygen, it doesn't know the source) so fuel is added up to the 25% clamp......

Simon

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks will get it down to them tomorrow and see what code its showing.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had car back with the stealers yesterday and they say it didnt show a specific code just that its now running lean.I have noticed when driving it latley it was down on power but not all of the time.
they checked every relevant sensor and still nothing so then they dove it under Subaru reccomended conditions while running diagnostics.This file has been sent to subaru and its a case of wait and see!

Im getting a pain in my arse with it now! Although the plus side is they havn't charged me for the last two tests since it was them that tried to fix it and failed from the start.

Any ideas?

Derek

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Lean would improve economy, and if the light was on there was a code......

Try a different dealer!

Simon

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Simon,

Am starting to think along thoes lines too!

·
Registered
2001 2.0 awd manual
199 Posts
engine light

had a similar problem in a toyota and the lambda sensor was faulty . giving wrong signals to ecu causing crap running and poor economy .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts